The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
An Arrow?
I like the machine turned alloy side panels.
I bet that took some time?

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
There is little to differentiate the YY 1420 car from the front but it looks a bit like the surviving Arrow BMH 862 (1934) that has similar twin wipers?  In the photo, the radiator has a couple of small light marks half way down - might these be from where an Arrow badge was removed?  

Colin
For reference here's a photo of a 1932 arrow sports foursome (an earlier car of the same model which Colin mentions)

[Image: 42879601102_2c370c88e5_k.jpg]

Yes wings look very similar, other than that and twin wipers, quite different. An interesting conundrum.
This is a 1932 Arrow which I photographed in 1961 - very different wings!

.jpg   Terrington 1961 crop.jpg (Size: 66.05 KB / Downloads: 305)
Intriguing Mike, was that a Four or a two seater? From the photos I have, the wings of the 'Competition 65' especially are more similar to your photo, though most all the Foursomes I have found pictures of have the same or at least very similar wings to the photo I posted. The two seaters also show the bar between the wings as per your photo, which the foursomes I have photos of don't.
Either way looking back at the photos again I'm not quite so sure the wings are a match for the arrow's anyway.
It was a short-wheelbase 2-seater, claimed to be a 1930 car but the registration checks out as 1932. I did take a 3/4-rear photo too, but I can't find it now.
Brilliant Mike, I assume then a Pre 'Competition 65' model? did it have the sloping tapered tail? Lovely.
(02-11-2018, 09:24 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It was a short-wheelbase 2-seater, claimed to be a 1930 car but the registration checks out as 1932. I did take a 3/4-rear photo too, but I can't find it now.

Its got austin wings. Same as my Nov '30 RL Saloon and March '30 AE Tourer. For 1931 the wings changed to those seen commonly on RN & RP's
(02-11-2018, 11:37 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 09:24 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It was a short-wheelbase 2-seater, claimed to be a 1930 car but the registration checks out as 1932. I did take a 3/4-rear photo too, but I can't find it now.

Its got austin wings. Same as my Nov '30 RL Saloon and March '30 AE Tourer. For 1931 the wings changed to those seen commonly on RN & RP's

Not quite; the trailing edge of the front wings came to a point with no running boards, and the rears had a longer sweep to the trailing edge. I think it had the sloping, pointed tail, although the black and white one that was advertised recently was not quite how I remember it. 

Sadly it doesn't seem to have survived; it is neither on the Association register nor the DVLA site, and yet the owner at the time valued it highly. It was for sale for £50, which was the going price fora very smart Nippy; my brother offered him £35 (twice what he eventually paid for a running Opal) but was turned down.
thinking of things like badges being possibly removed, don't you think the chap looks a bit later than 1932? i.e. that its not a new car?

No sign of hood - almost like Burghley style flat top to body sides? Though obviously not one.