The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardy Spicer propshaft
Can anybody tell me the collapsed length of the Hardy Spicer prop-shaft before I buy one, it's for a LWB RN with a 4 speed gearbox attached to a 3 speed engine in it's original position.
You don't need the collapsed length, Dave. Just measure the actual distance between the opposite faces of the gearbox and rear axle flanges and your prop shaft man will make the required allowance. I've had quite a number of these made for various engine/gearbox/rear axle combinations on this basis and never had a problem with the finished jobs.

Steve
Thanks Steve, however, I was wondering if a standard Seven Hardy Spicer shaft would fit rather than a special.
(30-10-2018, 11:31 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Thanks Steve, however, I was wondering if a standard Seven Hardy Spicer shaft would fit rather than a special.

I think at best it'd be uncomfortably tight with a standard propshaft. Four speed box on a three speed crankcase puts the gearbox flange 3/4" further back, leaving you with very little, or no compression at all on the spline setup.
I have one going spare if you want to buy it from me.

It is used but in good condition. 

The length is 26” between the flanges.

Matt

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh, that's the right length.
Many thanks to Matt, a standard Hardy Spicer length shaft will fit with !/2" to spare, throw it in from a 1000 paces.