The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spit windscreen seals
Neither of my cars with split/two piece screens (1927 AD & 1932 AG) came wit a seal between top& bottom panes. These are available (thanks to cherished etc suppliers!) but do they fit to the upper (moveable) or lower (fixed) screen?
My guess is to the fixed, but what do I know! Rinkens photos are ambivalent!
David
(29-10-2018, 10:55 AM)David.H Wrote: Neither of my cars with split/two piece screens (1927 AD & 1932 AG) came wit a seal between top& bottom panes. These are available (thanks to cherished etc suppliers!) but do they fit to the upper (moveable) or lower (fixed) screen?
David

David, it goes on the lower,fixed part of the screen
(29-10-2018, 07:00 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(29-10-2018, 10:55 AM)David.H Wrote: Neither of my cars with split/two piece screens (1927 AD & 1932 AG) came wit a seal between top& bottom panes. These are available (thanks to cherished etc suppliers!) but do they fit to the upper (moveable) or lower (fixed) screen?
David

David, it goes on the lower,fixed part of the screen
Many thanks.
D
I would have fitted to the bottom fixed pane but then I found this article in Austin Advocate 1931 in the readers letters.  Looks like Austin had a bit of a change of plan.

Two-piece Windscreens­ - All Models.
Q.  During the summer I purchased a secondhand Austin car, which is fitted with a two-piece windscreen. I find that, in a heavy shower, the rain works in between the rubber beading and the glass at the point where the two halves of the windscreen meet. Can you tell me how to overcome this trouble?
A.  The rubber beading is fastened to the bottom glass, with the rubber lip inside. This means that when the top half of the screen is closed it comes up against this lip, but owing to the fact that there is a small gap between the two pieces of glass, water works through and creeps up over the lip of the rubber. To overcome this trouble, remove the rubber from the bottom glass (it comes off easily by pulling), and fit it to the bottom of the top glass, with the lip on the outside of the screen. In this way, when the screen is closed, the gap between the two halves is closed, and the water runs straight off.
Austin Magazine 1931

.png   Split Screen.png (Size: 59.57 KB / Downloads: 152)
I choose to fit it as shown in B because I found water bubbled up inside when raining in the other postion.

The downside of it in this oriatation is that when you open the windscreen the seal can blow off at higher speeds, I keep meaning to use some sort of sealant to hold it there but only remmeber when it blows away!
(03-11-2018, 09:51 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I choose to fit it as shown in B because I found water bubbled up inside when raining in the other postion.  

The downside of it in this oriatation is that when you open the windscreen the seal can blow off at higher speeds, I keep meaning to use some sort of sealant to hold it there but only remmeber when it blows away!

Well, well, well!
D
Decisions to be made David.
(03-11-2018, 12:22 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Decisions to be made David.

If one way doesn't work, try the other! Long way from high speed testing though!
D