The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 Jitney
In my research of Austin Dealerships  I have come across a number of unusual adverts but I did not think I would find an advert for a dealer which promoted both American Austin and English Austin, or an Austin Seven which was not in any of the books such as The Source Book.

Bachrach Motor Co. Inc were based in Manilla and are listed as overseas agents in 1932 and 1936 in Austin Publications, but as the advert on the previous page shows, they promoted both American and English Austins.   The advert shows the standard American and English Austin cars.  I guess any car could be used as a Taxi, even the Box.

But the car that caught my attention was the “Jitney” (a bus or other vehicle carrying passengers for a low fare), the advert with image reads.
“THE “JINTEY” (above with “Station Wagon” body built in our own shops to your order on either American or English chassis.  The Ultimate in low cost transportation.  Cheaper than shoe leather.  Due to its increased capacity this type of AUSTIN “7” can be operated with even lower fares than the regular taxi as shown above.” see below

.png   Picture2.png (Size: 710.86 KB / Downloads: 531)

The image looks like the car is carrying 6 people, and a bit low at the back!

Image from Manilla Nostalgia web site from Andrew Ma. Guerrero.
I have seen photos of later Bantam Jitney buses but never an Austin. Very interesting.

Peter.
(03-10-2018, 07:19 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: In my research of Austin Dealerships  I have come across a number of unusual adverts but I did not think I would find an advert for a dealer which promoted both American Austin and English Austin, or an Austin Seven which was not in any of the books such as The Source Book.

Bachrach Motor Co. Inc were based in Manilla and are listed as overseas agents in 1932 and 1936 in Austin Publications, but as the advert on the previous page shows, they promoted both American and English Austins.   The advert shows the standard American and English Austin cars.  I guess any car could be used as a Taxi, even the Box.

But the car that caught my attention was the “Jitney” (a bus or other vehicle carrying passengers for a low fare), the advert with image reads.
“THE “JINTEY” (above with “Station Wagon” body built in our own shops to your order on either American or English chassis.  The Ultimate in low cost transportation.  Cheaper than shoe leather.  Due to its increased capacity this type of AUSTIN “7” can be operated with even lower fares than the regular taxi as shown above.” see below

The image looks like the car is carrying 6 people, and a bit low at the back!

Image from Manilla Nostalgia web site from Andrew Ma. Guerrero.
Isn't that a great looking ad?  The Bachrach Motor Company of Manila established the Phillippine Aerial Taxi Company in 1930. Although he had an auto dealership for English Austins and American Austins, the average Filipino could not afford a car and used public transportation.  So Bachrach offered custom-built station wagon versions of miniature taxicabs called "Jitneys" or "Auto Calesas". The Jitneys were built on the English Austin, American Austin and American Bantam chassis. By 1939, Bachrach had more than 135 auto calesas operating in his Taxi Company.  This story was featured in the Sept/Oct 2015 issue of the American Austin Bantam Club News.
Thanks Douglas

The adverts intriguing. Some would attract a law suit today. The 1935 Ruby “An Austin is Safer to Drive” ”the brakes are of the most efficient type”. Road tests struggled to achieve 50%. It is remarkable that so many 1935 cars were sold. A Standard 9 just L135.

The elegant ladies on the grass seem to be particularly enjoying their smoke......
An Austin 16 advertised in a very non PC colour!

American car prices seem both low and high. A 5 seat Model T in 1914 a mere L135. 1918 Durant L195. A 1930 Essex L295, Marmon 8 L395. Yet a 1923 Nash, not in the Cadillac class, L650, high even for a sedan at the time? If it had not been for the high tax on big bore Yanks, would have been little place for the local product. In the late 1920s NZ had about the second highest vehicles per pop. Most of the cars which came here were Yank. A popular measure of a car was its top gear hill climb ability; many  of the underpowered UK cars of late 20s, early 30s were regarded with contempt.

The term jitney in the Phillipines was very much associated with the bodies constructed on war surplus jeeps
My friend Wes Phillippi has sent me these pictures of the later Bantam jitney buses. Note the long bench seat extending out of the door for extra capacity!

Peter.

.jpg   #2 - Jitney Bantam.jpg (Size: 302.26 KB / Downloads: 149)