The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon slicer starter and floor mounted switch.
Can anyone tell me when the bacon slicer starter motor changed from a foot operated switch to one on transmission tunnel
(27-10-2018, 07:46 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Can anyone tell me when the bacon slicer starter motor changed from a foot operated switch to one on transmission tunnel

Was the change to tunnel button at the same time as the introduction of the direct drive Starter ?

In Australia second half of 1929- Wyatt says 29th October 1929 Car No B1769 Chassis 99001.
(27-10-2018, 07:46 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Can anyone tell me when the bacon slicer starter motor changed from a foot operated switch to one on transmission tunnel

I believe it came with the change from gate change style to ball change. The later starter will not fit a gate change gearbox.
To answer the OP's specific question, the change from foot starter to floor-mounted starter coincided with the change from 'bacon-slicer' unit to direct starter. In other words, all 'bacon-slicer' starters have the foot-operated switch. As Tony says, this change was made from chassis 99,001, and I believe Robert is also correct about the change to a ball-change lever occurring at the same time.
(28-10-2018, 12:43 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: To answer the OP's specific question, the change from foot starter to floor-mounted starter coincided with the change from 'bacon-slicer' unit to direct starter. In other words, all 'bacon-slicer' starters have the foot-operated switch. As Tony says, this change was made from chassis 99,001, and I believe Robert is also correct about the change to a ball-change lever occurring at the same time.

That confirms my memory- my first Holden bodied fabric saloon was late 1929 and had a direct drive starter, tunnel button and ball change (I think standard shift pattern). Unfortunately no longer !
My present Holden bodied fabric saloon is early 1929 and has bacon slicer with button and gate change.

Cheers, Tony.
as the question appears to be answered, I'll just query...

The earlier gearbox top WILL fit on the later gearbox, wont it?
(29-10-2018, 05:54 PM)JonE Wrote: as the question appears to be answered, I'll just query...  

The earlier gearbox top WILL fit on the later gearbox, wont it?

Gate change and both ball changes are interchangeable on the three speed box.
(28-10-2018, 12:26 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: The later starter will not fit a gate change gearbox.

Hi Robert,

My own Chummy has had exactly this set up for a number of years.

R

What do you make of this then ?   I bought a complete early 1929 sandcast coil engine and starter motor. The starter motor was never fitted with a starter switch.
  As you can see the hole for the cable has been pugged up with aluminum and as you can see inside the bosses are different to allow some material for tapping the threads into.

Attached Files
.jpg   P1040288.JPG (Size: 156.54 KB / Downloads: 196)
.jpg   P1040292.JPG (Size: 153.03 KB / Downloads: 192)
The motor on the left, in your top photo, looks to be an earlier CAV one Robert.

The last of your photos shows the XL number, which would fit.