The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Reviews
(25-10-2018, 04:23 PM)Timothy P Wrote:
(25-10-2018, 01:30 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Bob and Chris

I agree that this is a useful book summary for newbies.  Of course the FAQ that you talk about Chris is already there!  Its the search box at the top right hand of this page.  Unfortunately its not that good (sorry management!) and, in my experience, doesn't pick up the words and phrases that I use.  In fact I find a "Google" search much more useful.

Cheers

Howard

Hello Howard,
I have to agree the search isn't the easiest, unfortunately a part of the forum software that it seems cannot be modified.
I've looked into it andt here are possibly a couple of tricks that may help though.
When searching 2 or more words it defaults to showing results with that specific quote in them, so as entered with the words together in the order you entered them. (hope that makes sense)
if you want to search 2 or more words but don't mind if they follow one another or what order type AND (capitals a must) between each word, this will give all posts with both/ all search words included.
You can also use OR in the same way to give results for either word.
You can combine multiple ANDs and ORs in one search, but it obviously gets more complex, and probably unnecessary.

In addition, above the search box is a search button which gives a more advanced search with options as to how the search is applied and results displayed. (it defaults to showing them as threads rather than posts, as in the normal search)

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks Timothy

That is useful.  However am I right in thinking that the search is only for the new forum? If so is there any way from within the new forum to search the wealth of info in the old one?

Cheers

Howard
(25-10-2018, 06:09 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Thanks Timothy

That is useful.  However am I right in thinking that the search is only for the new forum? If so is there any way from within the new forum to search the wealth of info in the old one?

Cheers

Howard

That's OK Howard.
Yes I'm afraid it does only do the new forum. 
It is my understanding that there was hope of getting the info from the old forum into the new forum, but don't know how that project is getting on.
There is a section in the new forum where the old forum can be browsed (click the banner, scroll down and just below sales and wants is the "austinsevenfriends old forum"), but at the moment the search is better on the old forum itself LINK.
One effect of having quickly accessible model answers to common questions is that the website can become very dull. With little need to ask questions there is little scope for off hand comments which often develop into intriguing asides, both Seven  technical and not. We don’t seem to get the regular flow of questions about dud dynamos anymore; dunno if this is because old complete answers are being found. Many newcomers now clearly have more limited skills than did the old hands originally, and many questions and answers must bore the oldies. But presumably the intent is to promote continuing interest in Sevens ; many of the old codgers are relatively remote from newcomers now, and in the future will not be here at all. So newcomers need all the immediate support that can reasonably be provided.