The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Reviews
Hi Arthur

Prompted by the Book List in current post  “D type inner axle felt seal change “ and with my most fervent detractor hors de combat, it seemed an opportune time to reprint some book reviews from the old website. Might be of use to some.

The situation with Seven info has gone from one extreme to the other. For decades my car was maintained with just the Pitman book and for diff adjustment and the like some time in libraries hunting through Judge auto maintenance books and similar. The latter long gone from modern libraries. Now there is a vast range of info readily available. Copiers and the Internet and very obliging parts suppliers have made the owner handbooks and parts books very available. Then there is all the info on Club sites. And much excellent info on this Forum although often hard to relocate, esp on the old site. And most posts deal with just one aspect of some task. Also often under unlikely headings. The problem now is sorting through it. It unfortunately requires some Seven and some practical skills to best select, esp the many mods...
Books do not well convey basic car and fitting skills supposed to be assimilated during apprenticeships. And the cars have become a bit too precious to learn on as many of us did. Nevertheless many school themselves to a high degree, although possibly more difficult today as so few have done anything practical. My father was a plumber, and there are many  woodworkers in the old car movement who achieve standards beyond many car mechanics, esp modern ones. Wear tolerances and the identification of serviceable ball races is always a puzzle for newcomers.

Original Austin Seven                                                                                          Rinsey Mills

This is a large hard cover book full of glossy photos of all models. Although its intended purpose is to guide restorers it is of considerable interest generally. The excellent photos include interiors and engine compartments, both original and restored. To quote from the cover "This painstakingly researched book, compiled from all known sources of factory information, aims to reveal how these charming cars altered in detail over the years  Specification description, chassis and body evolution, production changes, body colours, optional extras and accessories, special coachwork, overseas variations- the minutae are covered for all Austin Seven models." If this sounds like some dull reference book, it is far from. Whilst a serious treatment, it would be quite at home on any coffee table.
    (Configuration of some of the cars illustrated are incorrect, but this does not greatly detract from the general worth. Anyone progressing to a reasonably original level of restoration of a 1920s model should confirm detail.)

The Austin Seven Manual                                                                              Doug Woodrow

This is a soft cover book, the size of a large yesteryear telephone directory. Originally compiled by an enthusiast in 1987, and extensively reprinted. As far as I know it is the only commonly available publication comprising a complete workshop manual. It is very competently illustrated with numerous exploded and other detail diagrams which enable parts and arrangement to be clearly identified.
   The Austin engine is now unconventional, challenges typical modern mechanics, and there are pitfalls for even the most able technicians. But with this book, successful Seven work should be achievable by reasonably careful and practical individuals. Key tolerances are given but it is assumed those using the book are familiar with normal clearances, can recognise excessive wear, and other abnormal conditions.
   The book addresses topics under conventional headings; Engine, Fuel System, Gearbox etc, each broken into Dismantling, Clean/Inspection, Reassembly. To reduce confusion each section is repeated completely for the various models. This adds to the bulk of the book but greatly simplifies use, clearly identifies the correct association of components, and avoids much of the confusion which can arise from other Austin publications. The mechanism of a generous range of the various magnetos, dynamos, starters, wiper motors, horns are illustrated in particular detail.
   Just in case you may be contemplating purchase solely to establish the following, it is only fair to point out that, whilst a few are described, the myriad optional and now common modifications and practices are not exhaustively canvassed. Also performance modification, spoke adjustment, the 1932-5 brake cross shaft, original lamp ratings are not covered. And as with other books the wiring diagrams do not positively identify components particular to individual models, or show internal arrangements, or the elusive summer charge resistor configurations.
    The book is very complete but readers can still learn from some of the excellent advice in particular articles on Club technical sites.

Austin  Seven  Specials                                                                                        Bill Williams

Originally published 1958 and reprinted extensively, this book has been the inspiration for generations of special builders. It is very much a book of its time when cars and parts were more expendable, and is best read primarily in that light. The author had constructed successful specials since pre war days. Despite its popularity the book includes errors and much dubious advice eg the high and low chassis engines are declared to be interchangeable, and the procedure for polarising the dynamo is wrong. The camshaft regrind detail, port and block relieving, advice re lapping tapers etc is questionable But the book covers disassembly and reassembly, distinguishes between models, and for many years was about the only available text. Many aspects well known to warrant close attention are mentioned. Any modern day special builder should check with the local fraternity for later developments.

Austin Seven Companion                                                                 Seven Fifty Motor Club

First impression produced in 1980. The book comprises a collection of contributions collected over preceding decades. Smallish print so packs a lot of information. The book covers the history of the Seven, including in competition, a more than usually detailed table of introduced changes (although many electrical alterations omitted), detailed description of models, including of the performance versions, an i.d. chart for saloon bodies, etc. The book gives detailed overhaul guidance but without the very comprehensive exploded diagrams of Woodrow. The same comments as for Woodrow apply re wiring etc. Many useful tid bits ie a drawing of the woodwork of RP doors, (usually too rotted to fathom), details of spring camber (not all correct), brake cables, discussion of radiator core options etc. Also contributor's homely advice and speculation on various matters, some best treated as light entertainment.
    The 750 Club was formed immediately post war to promote inexpensive racing, so there are several articles on performance mods. Some of these are questionable and best ignored for conventional cars with intended long life.
    For reasonably capable persons possessed of cars which are mechanically complete, or for those who possess the ability to recognise missing or wrongly assembled  parts, this book on its own should enable them to maintain and overhaul any Seven.

The Austin Seven                                                                                                    R.J.  Wyatt

First published in 1968 this is the definitive text on the Seven, including the Big Seven. It is aimed at the general reader with some technical interest and grasp. Illustrations of distinctively Seven key mechanical parts are included. Considerable space is allocated to competition activity; justifiable because so many achievements were truly outstanding, and the publicity contributed in a major way to the car's popularity. The special bodied, the specially tuned, the European and US versions are dealt with adequately and not excessively. The factors spurring the various model changes, and the sales outcome, are all documented.
   As with similar books dealing with other makes, it is an objective factual history. There are few contemporary impressions, little about typical owner experiences of the time, or about the various contemporary long distance world travel adventurers. As per the sub title the tale ends in 1939, so there is no subsequent history. The book does not particularly seek to capture the very individual character of the Seven and the peculiar quirkiness which has inured it to so many over the decades. This is more the territory of books like The Original Austin Seven.
    Photos are included of most of the significant models and of many others. A reasonably complete table of the year by year modifications is included plus a useful i.d. chart for the many mudguard and running board types associated with the various models.
    All those who have ever been associated with Sevens have to read this book sometime.

Owners Manuals Parts Books

Originals are available on line from various sites. The servicing data is very dated. (Hubs are filled with grease, gbox and diff filled high etc, and early Ruby timing wrong.) Owners should establish current general non faddist practice. The Parts books often very helpful in identifying parts and assembly (although several curiously wierd depictions ie straight cut pinions!)

The thought has often occurred to me that the site could use an FAQ section for the benefit of newcomers, or simply to spare the weary from repeating themselves ad infinitum, covering things like the above (competently summarised I'd say Bob), also how to remove studs, etc etc. Of course there may well already be one that I've failed to find....Plus there's the thorny question of how to get people to agree the contents...
Hi Bob and Chris

I agree that this is a useful book summary for newbies.  Of course the FAQ that you talk about Chris is already there!  Its the search box at the top right hand of this page.  Unfortunately its not that good (sorry management!) and, in my experience, doesn't pick up the words and phrases that I use.  In fact I find a "Google" search much more useful.

Cheers

Howard
(25-10-2018, 01:30 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Bob and Chris

I agree that this is a useful book summary for newbies.  Of course the FAQ that you talk about Chris is already there!  Its the search box at the top right hand of this page.  Unfortunately its not that good (sorry management!) and, in my experience, doesn't pick up the words and phrases that I use.  In fact I find a "Google" search much more useful.

Cheers

Howard

These thoughts are very good in my opinion. Thanks Bob and all to date. I thought that a page on the website actually showing front covers of books would be a good idea too. I already have those books and have started revisiting them, particularly the Bill Williams book. I've done more trawling around the web too at various ideas.

I think that the "problem" isn't so much one of where do I initially look, but asking sometimes those who have been Austineers for yonks, who clearly know the ins and outs, might get a little fed up with newcomers asking questions which appear to be "the bleedin obvious" if you'll pardon the expression....whereas a compilation of books, with perhaps a precis of interesting articles on particular points of refurbishment/maintenance etc, might avoid the same or similar questions being asked by those of us anxious to extend our knowledge?

I respect the wisdom of others of course, and don't wish to tread on toes, but anything which would help newcomers such as me and others, would be gratefully received.

I don't mind scanning in some front covers etc.

Arthur

(25-10-2018, 01:48 PM)merlinart Wrote:

Cheers

Howard

These thoughts are very good in my opinion. Thanks Bob and all to date. I thought that a page on the website actually showing front covers of books would be a good idea too. I already have those books and have started revisiting them, particularly the Bill Williams book. I've done more trawling around the web too at various ideas.

I think that the "problem" isn't so much one of where do I initially look, but asking sometimes those who have been Austineers for yonks, who clearly know the ins and outs, might get a little fed up with newcomers asking questions which appear to be "the bleedin obvious" if you'll pardon the expression....whereas a compilation of books, with perhaps a precis of interesting articles on particular points of refurbishment/maintenance etc, might avoid the same or similar questions being asked by those of us anxious to extend our knowledge?

I respect the wisdom of others of course, and don't wish to tread on toes, but anything which would help newcomers such as me and others, would be gratefully received.

I don't mind scanning in some front covers etc.

Arthur

Bob's idea of showing this is very good...maybe the list could also show chapter titles as well, and perhaps this post or an eventual one could be a "forum sticky"...or whatever one calls such things, and perhaps a permanent page on the website opening index page?

Arthur
Yes Arthur, (I'd actually found that!)

I was thinking more of a section with a few (locked) articles where new, needy or curious members could do a little light reading on well understood (by the rest of us) topics, away from the hurly-burly of ongoing debate... I'm thinking of those helpful articles one picks up from the DA7C, for example, though no point in duplicating.
Phil Baildon’s collation from 2003 - this could be revisited as a number of publications have come out since.

The first page of text...

I also find the service journals very interesting and useful: https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...ce-journal

Cheers

Howard

Hello Howard,
I have to agree the search isn't the easiest, unfortunately a part of the forum software that it seems cannot be modified.
I've looked into it andt here are possibly a couple of tricks that may help though.
When searching 2 or more words it defaults to showing results with that specific quote in them, so as entered with the words together in the order you entered them. (hope that makes sense)
if you want to search 2 or more words but don't mind if they follow one another or what order type AND (capitals a must) between each word, this will give all posts with both/ all search words included.
You can also use OR in the same way to give results for either word.
You can combine multiple ANDs and ORs in one search, but it obviously gets more complex, and probably unnecessary.

In addition, above the search box is a search button which gives a more advanced search with options as to how the search is applied and results displayed. (it defaults to showing them as threads rather than posts, as in the normal search)

Hope that is of some help.
(25-10-2018, 03:46 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The first page of text...

Some good stuff there...actually seeing 2 book covers reminds me of 2 more  on my shelves somewhere, in fact I've not seen them for years, The John Haynes book and another, just need to go through thousands of books....you know, when you look for abook and you recall it has a red spine and turns out to have a blue one....that kind of thing.

Arthur

(25-10-2018, 02:39 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Yes Arthur, (I'd actually found that!)

I was thinking more of a section with a few (locked) articles where new, needy or curious members could do a little light reading on well understood (by the rest of us) topics, away from the hurly-burly of ongoing debate... I'm thinking of those helpful articles one picks up from the DA7C, for example, though no point in duplicating.

Yes, some good thinking here.

Arthur