The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Just clocked up 60 miles after the rebore. First oil change.

Took Lulu '34 box to a D-Day celebration garden party in the village.Attracted considerable attention as she was the oldest vehicle there. Photo taken after the proceedings had finished.
Have been encouraged to add appropriate ARP Headlight masks and white borders to wings and running boards since the paintwork is rough in that area, I shall probably do that for the Cornish village carnival season.
Fixed the handbrake properly, working on and off over the last week.
I was at the Scottish Austin Seven Club's gathering at Thirlestane Castle a week ago. As I was just leaving, stopped at the toilet block before heading home. As I applied the handbrake there was a loud bang and it stopped working.
This is uncoupled brakes and the handbrake is a simple affair bolted onto the chassis cross member in front of the the brake cross shaft.
The brass part that holds the adjusting bolt that is riveted onto the top of the cable carrier had parted company.
On inspection this had happened before and it had been partly (and crudely) brazed back on.
I fabricated a heavy gauge steel bracket to go round the adjuster and tapped it to take bolts replacing the rivets. While I was at it I refaced the pawl and fitted new ratchets.
The result is very good and the handbrake is more positive than it has ever been.
However it was much more difficult than I had imagined. It is very awkward to get at, being between the cross-member and the brake cross shaft and also close to the prop shaft. In addition a very oily place and not having any means of raising the car available I was lying on the floor.
However I'm very pleased it's done.
Jim
I am doing a similar exercise. My brake didn't break, but was very sloppy, the rivets were loose, even the extra one in the top! The adjuster was awful so I made a new one with a couple of headless BSF allen screws linked with a piece from a hex key ! ,Also the pivots' holes were worn so have been sorted! I am also replacing the (too ) flexible coupling, The brake assembly is easier to get at with the coupling out of the way
David
Hi

Strangely enough I've just done a refurb on the uncoupled bracket on my special build. I had to straighten the bracket, weld up and re-drill the holes for the pins. Make a new adjuster screw and a new quadrant (the old one was missing).  Luckily I have no body, floors etc to get in the way and its much easier working on non-oily parts!

I think its a bit odd that Austin made such a complex brass bracket for the adjusting screw.  Surely a simple steel angle threaded for the adjuster would have worked equally well.

Cheers

Howard
I took Vera to Seaford Motofest. The first show that we have both entered.  Over a 100 classics, only 1, Austin 7, my Vera. Best in show went to a repro E type Jag ?????

Biddlecombe - I think she looks lovely.
I agree - what a straight and original example, I really like it!
To a Seven driver in North Wales. If you were driving your red Seven thruogh Portmadog this morning, don't worry, it was another Seven forumist waving a greeting  to you. Mind you, that was the ageing bearded chap. If there were teams of athletic lasses waving to you there might be another explanation!
Thanks guys, do you remember about a year ago I was a complete newbie asking allsorts of questions about what to buy and what to pay, and then JonE spotted her on ebay and gave a fantastic judgement about looking "right" and worth the money and me taking a pot and 2 days later she was mine. Well we've been through the horrors of leaking petrol tank and fixed it. Oil on the rear brakes and with Ruairidh's advice done a complete both side double axle seals refurb. I've cleaned a bit and polished a bit. I've adjusted here and there, adjusted the timing, fitted new brake cables to the front, new fabric joint and carden boot. 12 months on here we are and been to our first show. One of the greatest things yesterday was letting the kids sit in and parp the Rist horn, whilst the repro Jag next door had a "Please don't touchthe exhibit" notice on it.
Thanks to all those people that have helped me get going and I look forward to pestering you all again sometime.
Kind Regards
Peter