The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I'd guess it's a technical term, somewhat along the lines of "goosed"
Failed
Under
Constant
Kineticism and
Expert
Driving.
(02-05-2019, 11:13 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 10:17 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Re oil filler tube if it's putting up a fight turn on the 'shaft' not the top or you might separate the two. Wrap a bit of leather (e g. old glove) around it and grip on that with mole grips. Yes a bit of gentle heat on the ally may help.

I use one of these for stubborn fillers!

https://www.toolstation.com/strap-wrench...gLRpPD_BwE

yup so I'm going to find one of those now. I used the blow torch and the knob somehow caught fire so I threw it out of the garage and then worried about what to do. The leaves on the drive were starting to burn, and i eventually knocked it hard and the knob went out,  leaving it firing hard into the ground. 

I thought I'd just let it run dry, but after a few minutes I banged it again and dislodged the canister from the top. phew.

Filler still not off!
It’s always a worry when your knob catches fire ?
Alan Fairless
Collected the newly printed "Hereford Speed Trails" celebration booklet, a slim but historically majestic work that should be on everybody's bookshelf. Our printer does magazines for steam people and the Austin Ten DC as well as rally programmes, but had never sat in a Seven. The entire workforce, of five, came out and took turns in snapping each other sat grinning in the driver's seat. No doubt the social meeja such as twittergram are now full of such pictures. Neil the boss wanted a handover picture for his publicity. The mysteries of what smartphones use instead of an old fashioned camera lens might explain why we are apparently standing in front of a half scale model of a Ruby!

Copies have been sent to one or two distinguished forum participants, who may or may not choose to comment on the work. I apologise in advance for my failure to determine the identifying numbers of Dudley Beck's Gordon England, hopefully a mere detail but a second edition can include such arcane improvements.

You remind me Jon of the time my Dad decided to change a camping gas cylinder in the kitchen and forgot the cooker had a pilot light...
Took the engine and gearbox out of the RP yesterday and today made a start at the strip-down. Once the head came off it was obvious that there would be more needed than just a change of block/crankcase studs. Bores 3 & 4 showing signs of oil burning with pistons a bit "shoogly" (that's Glaswegian for excessive movement) so as Ian suggested, time for a proper refreshment. Bores are +.030 so no worries on that score. Someone not that far from the Antonine wall may be getting something in the post in the near future...

[Image: IMG-20190505-WA0000.jpg]
I found out My Type 65 would do 7000 rpm in third at the Plymouth Motor Club Werrington Hillclimb
( according to my electronic rev counter )
It did all that on the standard Dizzy with a high output 12v coil and 40 thou plug gaps.
Given that the Polo is (finally) coming off the road for some much needed TLC and having serviced the Seven yesterday in anticipation of it being pressed into being my 'daily driver' fro at least the next couple of  weeks, I took FG over the Berwyns on the 26 mile round trip to feed the horses and my friend's sheep. Of course, Llew, the motoring dog came too.

It has been a long time coming, having spent some time since I have had the car in chasing silly (and not so silly!) niggles  ,but the little car now appears to be completely reliable, wghich is just as well as it is going to have to do about 200 miles a week. There are still oil leaks from the nearside rear and offside front of the block to crankcase joint, but remembering RR's recent mishap that looks as if it is going to be quite expensive, I have left well alone and I can live with oil consumption in the region of 1500 mpg.

Stopped on the top of the mountains for a photoshoot:

Attached Files
.jpg   S011I001.JPG (Size: 135.08 KB / Downloads: 283)
.jpg   S011I002.JPG (Size: 107.13 KB / Downloads: 282)
.jpg   S011I003.JPG (Size: 85.6 KB / Downloads: 283)
.jpg   S011I004.JPG (Size: 149.55 KB / Downloads: 282)
.jpg   S011I005.JPG (Size: 92.84 KB / Downloads: 283)
.jpg   S011I006.JPG (Size: 90.72 KB / Downloads: 283)
The Shoestring Racing Team flew the Austin Seven flag high at the Simola Hillclimb Classic Friday

First time either Gino or I had pedaled our new cars in anger, the first 2 practice runs were done in rather soggy conditions and we both experienced a few little sideways twitches, but as we have 2 Golden Rules we adhere to: Rubber side down & keep the oily bits on the inside, sanity prevailed and we took it easy.

Unfortunately the GT40 didn't and we had an hour delay while they retrieved it and repaired the timing cable. The good thing was the rain had stopped and the track dried out really nicely in time for the three qualifying runs and we got down to the serious business of hustling our little cars up the hill. Gino's little Ulster was going like a rocket and by the third run he was really in the swing of things posting a credible time of 1:52 for the 1.9km climb. The little Blue Job was also going great guns, 6000 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd plus holding 4th most of the way up the climb gave me 1:29 for the day

https://motorsport.tv/motorsporttv/video...iday/21746 

Gino and I feature at 45 seconds in and again at 3;44 and 3;46. The smoke from the Blue Job is a combination of a good dollop of Castrol R in the tank, (smells great), and most likely valve guides as it all but disappears on full throttle... sigh

Very happy with the car, really going well & the road holding is vastly improved after I tightened the rear shocks up to maximum. Quite a few development plans for next year, not least of which will be one of Paul Bonewell's cams for a blown car, new valve guides, some more porting and smaller rear tyres to lower the gearing.

A great day out with our fantastic little cars, can't wait till next year !!

Aye
Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   resize_081.JPG (Size: 54.85 KB / Downloads: 250)
.jpg   resize_082.JPG (Size: 60.88 KB / Downloads: 251)
.jpg   resize_087.JPG (Size: 59.27 KB / Downloads: 251)
.jpg   resize_089.JPG (Size: 66.41 KB / Downloads: 251)
.jpg   resize_100.JPG (Size: 53.43 KB / Downloads: 251)
.jpg   resize_080.JPG (Size: 63.18 KB / Downloads: 251)