The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Broken the blinking gearbox. That’s what!
(04-11-2018, 06:14 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Today was a an increasingly rare opportunity to work on one of my own projects, rather than a customer's.

The chassis of The Thing from the Cesspit is now on the table (beats the Hell out of grovelling around on the workshop floor!) and is finally being reassembled.  Hopefully, it'll be united with last year's "Frankenstein" engine before long and will then have the ruinous remains of the body fitted.

The total budget for the whole build of an RP high-roof van from scrap is £1000 and we should have the mechanical side completed for half of that.

I'm very tempted to put it on the road "as is" next year, with a view to carrying out the conversion into an RP high-roof van the following winter.

Hi Martin,

I look forward to following your progress, hopefully you'll be posting future updates and photos. It seems likely you'll have your RP high-roof van on the road long before mine! I'm still short of a complete RP bulkhead / scuttle / A post / screen surround for mine and as we discussed some time ago, my ash framework will probably need replacement sections as it's incomplete and not in the best of condition.

Jeff.
After an engine rebuild due to me not tightening the blower drive into the crank properly and the loose crank gear threw the crank backwards jamming it against the rear main bearing housing, fortunately with no damage, we ran the supercharged single seater up and down the road outside my house, much to the amusement of my neighbours who are rather appreciative of seeing the old cars.

The initial alarming zero oil pressure turned out to be a faulty gauge, with the gauge replaced we towed it till I had pressure - off the end of the gauge, over 10lbs with a bored out pump rebuilt to close tolerances and the double oiler conversion. I expect it to settle around 6lbs when hot. The dead as a door-nail performance turned out to be 2 faulty spark plug lead ends, so new lead ends all round and vroom on all 4 pots. The blower really does scream as the revs climb.

We're preparing to run the historic reinactment of the 1934 Grand Prix in East London, South Africa. The late Major Doug van Riet ran a Works Rubber Duck in the '34 GP, sadly that car has left our shores, so the organizers cast about for a supercharged single seater to fill the gap... When they heard that we have two single seater 7's they requested both of them, so I'll post some pics after the event on the 23-25th of this month

Aye
Greig
Sunny South Africa
Took the boy to work and stopped to take a photo of a garage for Ruairidh.

Mine is the yellow skip... The grey one in the background is a wheely bin
Wink 
I would have recognised your grey skip anywhere Nick!
That MOT station plainly fits upside down on the West Lodge Garage. They should turn the sign the other way up.
(04-11-2018, 09:31 PM)JonE Wrote: That MOT station plainly fits upside down on the West Lodge Garage. They should turn the sign the other way up.

I'm sure Freud would have had something to say about your observations Jon Undecided  I spent an interesting half hour trying Google  to find out.      cheers  Russell
Not Freud, try Alexey Pajitnov I think.

Simon
how about Mr. Lego?
Took the petrol tank out as it was leaking, put it on the bench filled it up with petrol and can’t find any leak.  Only appears to leak in the car, tried all the brackets but no leaks (chummy tank) even tried a bit of pressure but no leak.  Any ideas.