The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks Mark,
Not cheap but not sure what the alternative is! I’ll keep looking but at least it’s something to fall back on.
Hi All

Not today, but over the last two days I've stripped the back axle of my RK.  I'm amazed at the bodgery.... Heres a list

1. One half shaft is a cut down long shaft but still 1/2" too long, needing a huge washer behind the retaining nut and still not tight on the taper (hence the rebuild).

2. A later short pinion shaft fitted by jamming the pinion flange hard into the thrust collar. A 3/16" spacer was fitted between pinion flange and Carden block.

3. The mating surfaces of the banjo and axle cases were painted.... yes painted with no sign of gaskets. Surprisingly oil tight.

The net result is that I'm on the look out for a 1930 long pinion and crown wheel set (screw in torque tube) and the missing thrust collar retaining nut (1 3/8" 16TPI).

Oh and other than turning down the support socket face has anybody used a form of shim to take up wear in the torque tube ball?

Cheers

Howard
(08-02-2019, 09:50 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

Not today, but over the last two days I've stripped the back axle of my RK.  I'm amazed at the bodgery.... Heres a list

1. One half shaft is a cut down long shaft but still 1/2" too long, needing a huge washer behind the retaining nut and still not tight on the taper (hence the rebuild).

2. A later short pinion shaft fitted by jamming the pinion flange hard into the thrust collar. A 3/16" spacer was fitted between pinion flange and Carden block.

3. The mating surfaces of the banjo and axle cases were painted.... yes painted with no sign of gaskets. Surprisingly oil tight.

The net result is that I'm on the look out for a 1930 long pinion and crown wheel set (screw in torque tube) and the missing thrust collar retaining nut (1 3/8" 16TPI).

Oh and other than turning down the support socket face has anybody used a form of shim to take up wear in the torque tube ball?

Cheers

Howard

I've been refurbing my RN back axle too Howard. This is the filing marks I found on my casing joints.
Peter.

I have been enjoying my first day off in a month on my favourite road, now sipping a malt whilst star gazing.

Somehow I got to 51 before someone told me that Orions belt is overrated.

I only recently learned it is a waiste of space.
Heart
I put a full helping of red wheels on the chummy. And fetched the Gordon England down from the roof to take the transmission tunnel off

[Image: 008_1728.jpg]

[Image: 008_1727.jpg]
(09-02-2019, 10:57 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have been enjoying my first day off in a month on my favourite road, now sipping a malt whilst star gazing.

Highland or Lowland?
It was an Islay - yum!
Lagavulin I hope. Went there years ago in the boat. As I remember difficult to get a boat in to their mooring. Even more difficult getting out again.
Alan Fairless