The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks for that, I could find the city but didn't think to add "car" to the search!
After sorting the gardening with the Mem'Sahib I made the most of the sunshine down here and had a run round the block in the RP.

I stopped off in the village to take a pic near the old railway station.

This is what it was like in the old days:

[Image: 21967502cartes-postales-photos-la-gare-s...nnet-3.jpg]

and this was today - it's now a private house although it hasn't changed much. Even the canopy over the platform is still there although the village name has been painted out on the gable end.

[Image: 20190113-151030.jpg]
another Austin 7/trialling film I came across... from the 1950s
https://youtu.be/BOwuwM0t9HE?t=141
Fitted (illegal?) LED headlight bulbs in the ORT... Bit of a faff as they don't supply 6v +ve earth bulbs for my reflectors. Broke the end caps off a couple cheap Chinese bulbs and with a little carefull soldering we have light.

All good till I drove around and discovered that the old wiring is intermittently naff and the dip switch is not functioning correctly... Easily fixed.

Led sidelights with built in indicators also wired up again resorting to solder as the BAY15 D bulb holders push the LEDs tight to the glass... Two blinker units so the trafficators still work fine.
I took the engine out. Again. Sigh. But I have it down to a fine art now actually. Takes a couple of minutes. Decided the double clutch springs were far too strong so I removed the inner ones to go back to normal. Only I buggered those god-damned horrible mousetrap spring taking them off so I can't reassemble anything till I get more. 

I also turned the speedo drive upside down. It needed a little modding to do that since the bolt pattern isn't exactly even and to make sure the oil drain holes weren't covered. Now I can run the cable straight to the back of the speedo. I also fitted the dynamo housing. I tried measuring the backlash in the dynamo gear but I found that near impossible to do so settled for 'some'. There is no binding with the thinnest paper gasket I could manage. Ruairidh pointed me to this article talking about it: http://www.ba7c.org/technicalArticles/dy...Cover.html but it doesn't actually answer the question of what's normal or correct. What do other people do?

That article also answered another question I had I think which is what are the lower two dynamo fasteners? Stud with nuts or bolts couldn't work. Not enough room to do them up. I guess they are slotted screws? In which case I might need to modify a couple of bolts since I don't have them!

Simon
Simon - I try to aim for as near to 0.002" as possible, certainly no less.

The securing bolts you mention benefit from having slots cuts into them to tighten with a screwdriver - I have a specially ground 1/4" drive 12mm socket that fits in the (tight) space, a suitably ground box spanner also works.
I have a 3/8 drive thin wall socket that fits but also have some 1/4" BSF socket heads that, with a long reach Allen key make fitting and removal simple.

Steve
The Exeter Trials sequence is such a gem can someone who knows how please post it separately under a more accessible title. Outstanding Trials Performance 2018 or something more imaginative, but easy to Search.

Just as well it was not a special bodied car or there would be even more of those adverts flogging pristine saloon bodies.

I know 1st gear is low but there seemed a lot of torque nonetheless. What state is the motor?

With most Sevens the driver is so much as one with the striving car that after almost any drive there is a sense of achievement somewhat as infected the young onlookers.

Other competitors must spend a fortune on tyres. Here treads recut with disc grinder etc are not allowed on the road. Seeking traction via blue smoke seems against all the rules of friction but it seemed to work for one. 
Was one of the successful fwd? Presumably the handbrake can be used to moderate spin, although with a bouncing Seven the distribution would be very erratic.
Simon I also use socket screws to secure dynamo and this clutch mod will help assembly.   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(15-01-2019, 10:10 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: The Exeter Trials sequence is such a gem ......

Presumably the handbrake can be used to moderate spin, although with a bouncing Seven the distribution would be very erratic.

I wondered if wheels with the centres not in the centre would be easier than bouncing???