The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(10-01-2019, 07:24 PM)jansens Wrote: I am going to use Penrite Classis Light 20W-60 in the engine. Is that OK for the gearbox too? It does say to replace SAE30 where originally specced. I prefer using the same oil in both if I can.

Simon

That sounds a bit heavy to me Simon, I run 20W/50 in mine and if I were ever to change I'd be looking at thinner oils not thicker. I've only ever used engine oil (either 20W/50 or straight 30) in the gearbox and have no plans to change.
(10-01-2019, 11:43 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 07:24 PM)jansens Wrote: I am going to use Penrite Classis Light 20W-60 in the engine. Is that OK for the gearbox too? It does say to replace SAE30 where originally specced. I prefer using the same oil in both if I can.

Simon

That sounds a bit heavy to me Simon, I run 20W/50 in mine and if I were ever to change I'd be looking at thinner oils not thicker. I've only ever used engine oil (either 20W/50 or straight 30) in the gearbox and have no plans to change.

In Australia the original engine oil recommendations were SAE 30 winter  SAE 40 summer .

As far as i know the Penrite designation 20w/60 officially doesn't exist- I would think they should really call it 20w/50. 

They say it replaces their original SAE 30 oil - not sure  of the additive package but I think they are suggesting it performs like an SAE 20 when cold and an SAE 60 when hot.

Cheers, Tony P.
Quote:In Australia the original engine oil recommendations were SAE 30 winter  SAE 40 summer .

As far as i know the Penrite designation 20w/60 officially doesn't exist- I would think they should really call it 20w/50. 

They say it replaces their original SAE 30 oil - not sure  of the additive package but I think they are suggesting it performs like an SAE 20 when cold and an SAE 60 when hot.

Cheers, Tony P.

Hi Tony, this is the stuff: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applicatio...benefits#/

I suspect all those specs mean a lot more to you than to me!

I didn't realise Penrite are an Aussie company.

Simon
(11-01-2019, 05:28 AM)jansens Wrote:
Quote:In Australia the original engine oil recommendations were SAE 30 winter  SAE 40 summer .

Cheers, Tony P.

Hi Tony, this is the stuff: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applicatio...benefits#/

I suspect all those specs mean a lot more to you than to me!

I didn't realise Penrite are an Aussie company.

Simon

Simon, a very old and well thought of Oil company since the late John Dymond took over the company in 1979- and a great supporter on the Melbourne Austin 7 Club as a major sponsor of Historic Winton. 

The company is still owned and operated by the Dymond family in Melbourne.

Our Spares stock (and I always use) Shelsley Light.

Good choice, cheers, Tony.
I am going to run an oil filter so I should be ok with the classic I think (plus that's all Repco had). But not suitable for gearbox? Too heavy as Chris suggests?
(11-01-2019, 05:49 AM)jansens Wrote: I am going to run an oil filter so I should be ok with the classic I think (plus that's all Repco had). But not suitable for gearbox? Too heavy as Chris suggests?

No- should be OK - not much different to straight 30 but holds a good viscosity when hot.

Cheers, Tony.
It seems like oils are like domestic LED bulbs, if SAE 20 acts like SAE 30 and a 9watt LED is like an old 60watt bulb. I wonder what the viscosity of our oils are like just before we do an oil change, thinner or thicker. In my case definitely thinner as I rarely top up the engine oil, so I suspect that it is thinned out by petrol as there is little evidence of condensation around the oil filler.
Without labouring the detail too much, multigrade oils achieve the 2nd figure by means of polymers which have a tendency to break down as the oil ages. Thus a 20W50 will ultimately behave something like an SAE 40 when hot but is probably a bit on the thick side when fresh. A 20W60 (must admit I've never heard of one till now) will be that much thicker. A multigrade is definitely a better bet than a straight grade as it reduces the amount by which the oil thickens as it cools, thus improves oil flow on a cold engine, which is where all the damage occurs.
Been in garage since 6.15am relining chummy rear brakes. Put the wheels back and noticed one has 3 broken spokes. B*gger!
After my gearbox imploded in July on the way to the Scottish Austin Seven Club Rally at Guildtown, i have finally got the replacement gearbox fitted, so thats us back on the road!