The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
As gardening was rained off, I retreated to the garage and made up a hub locking device from an old brake drum and a spare length of rod. The drum proved to be made of remarkably hard steel and it brought to mind (because of the material quality I suppose) that wonderfully funny story by Roald Dahl "Parson's Pleasure" that includes the mention of an Austin Seven. "Clergymen, they don't 'av big cars, they 'av piddlin little uns like Austin Sevens". However, that's not the point of the story and, if you don't like "dealers" and their inflated prices, get hold of a copy. You'll enjoy it. A lot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Ruby is coming together nicely Andrew.
I hope that rod is stiff enough, others have bent the tommy bar of a 1/2" socket set !
Harking back to Tony Griffiths, many may avoid Roald Dahl as being a childrens writer. His autobiography in two parts, from memory "Boy" and "Solo" are grand reads, his wartime experiences real chilling Boys Own stuff.
 I have always found short stories somewaht feeble, but not his. Some cannot be read to the grandchildren, and maybe not even to the wife. Most of the twists are very hard to see coming.

One story reminded me of an incident decades ago when still at school. The big ends on our/my car were failing and with my father we answered an adv for a Seven wrecking. My father chanced to ask about the crankcase and was told it was to be collectd and was shown a sack full of fragments. We wonder if "pack it up and put it in a sack" had been heard as "crack it up!"

(The big ends had as usual been hopelessly filed, but with shims and a lot of time which should have been spent studying, were used.)
I hope that rod is stiff enough, others have bent the tommy bar of a 1/2" socket set !

I was wondering myself - we'll see when the brake shoes arrive back! Probably more dammed filing to enlarge the holes in the drum...
I would suggest the rim of a hub with a bar welded on is stronger and easier to store
(16-09-2019, 09:50 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: I hope that rod is stiff enough, others have bent the tommy bar of a 1/2" socket set !

I was wondering myself - we'll see when the brake shoes arrive back! Probably more dammed filing to enlarge the holes in the drum...

I simply welded a couple of two foot lengths of angle across the back of a knackered drum and joined them in a sort of "A" shape. Knocked the locating tabs off the drum and it just bolts on backwards. Ugly, brutal and very useful.
(15-09-2019, 07:25 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: Today, in the last couple of hours, put wheels on the old girl. Not had wheels on it for the last 30 years. Not had wheels with air in them for 50 years. And also fitted exhaust tailpipe. It's coming together.

Looking very good.  Don't forget the wing piping between each wing and the 'skirt' under the cowl.  Are your tyres 4.5 inches?  On my Pearl I found that these caught the inner wing on full lock so changed to 4 inches.
(17-09-2019, 07:27 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(16-09-2019, 09:50 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: I hope that rod is stiff enough, others have bent the tommy bar of a 1/2" socket set !

I simply welded a couple of two foot lengths of angle across the back of a knackered drum and joined them in a sort of "A" shape. Knocked the locating tabs off the drum and it just bolts on backwards. Ugly, brutal and very useful.

I just use a wheel with the centre removed...
I made a "thing" out of birch ply salvaged from the drawer fronts from a bed.   3/4" thick when I'd finished sticking layers together.

You can see it in use on Chris Blakey's videos.

Light and cheap.