The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brakes grabbing
Hi all
I run a 34 Rp
When either driving out forwards or backwards from my garage the brakes grab when braking.  I do have to turn quite sharply and it's down a incline of say 30 degrees. 
After a while it doesn't do it ?
I'm sure this has been covered many times.
So are you saying that it only grabs under braking when descending a 30 degree hill on steering lock?
Then on normal driving all is well both with (no) grabbing and general brake operation?
If that is the case and you have checked the usual things like spring condition and general braking set up then the answer is a simple one, you need to move to somewhere with a flat driveway. But seriously if this is the only condition where brakes grab then likely be because the geometry is distorted through the car leaning and steering on lock and so the cables are pulling and not balanced.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I'd have to knock my garage down and move it back 6 metres to get a flat entrance,  love to !
Yes that's when it's at its worst and then hardly ever does it,  worse in reverse though
Being worse in reverse is typical because the axle tends to twist and tighten the brake cable. Looseness in the kingpins or any looseness at either end of the torque arms will exaggerate the effect, or a slightly loose ball anchorage on the cross-member.
I experienced this on a friends Seven on the front OS and found to be caused by a worn brake cam and bush, both were renewed which solved the problem.
I too would suggest that it is the front brake cable pulling on the brake levers as you turn.

Careful fettling of the end cap around the ball, and adjustment, can relieve the issue.

Also worth checking that the top pivot is not loose.
Is that the top pivot the shoes sit in R ?
Yes, that is correct.

Three fixing types exist:

- threaded into the backplate.

- bolted through the backplate.

- riveted/peened over through the backplate.
Thanks for that
No problem.