The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front spring cover
About to fit a new front spring but can't decide whether to leave it open to the elements or to wrap it with cloth tape, Denso tape, rope/cord or use some giant heatshrink? Leaning towards the cloth tape but interested to hear what others have done and any problems encountered.
I reckon it's one of those things where yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. I went for Denso tape this time around, the appearance of it pleases me but I'd hesitate to say it's better than something else. It's immensely sticky though, and tricky to apply once the springs are assembled without making a horrible mess.
(22-10-2018, 04:03 PM)ScarletĀ O\Hara Wrote: About to fit a new front spring but can't decide whether to leave it open to the elements or to wrap it with cloth tape, Denso tape, rope/cord or use some giant heatshrink? Leaning towards the cloth tape but interested to hear what others have done and any problems encountered.

Personally I would leave it open, I paint mineĀ and like to see them nice and shiny
I tried stripping , cleaning, greasing and Denso taping the springs many years ago and some time later I broke a spring leaf. On stripping it down the spring looked like it had been at the bottom of the Manchester ship canal for half a century. So I paint my spring and oil them.
I guess it's down to what you actually do or intend to do with the car. Mine is a road going car only and generally only goes out in fine weather. My springs are painted and oiled. If you're into trials or other harsh activities bound springs may be beneficial, but as Dave says, the binding might keep muck out but it can also retain moisture which is not good in the long term. My car still sports its original, naked front spring (without it showing much in the way of wear) so I must be doing something right.
The front spring on my Trials Car has been 'naked' since it was first fitted in 1992. I don't think it was new even then but I can't, really, remember. It's done something like 200 trials since then and it's still in good condition with no excessive wear or corrosion. It gets washed off after each event and sprayed with WD40 before the next. Whilst I've worn front spring shackles to destruction, the spring has survived pretty much unscathed. As above, you pays your money etc. and it's a personal choice but my experience tells me don't bother.

.jpg   25354563250_e8d281e7c0_z.jpg (Size: 50.35 KB / Downloads: 87)

Steve
This is one of those recurrent topics. Like crankshafts springs develop long cracks before failure. Whilst not so serious at the front a failed rear main leaf can be. Exposed, an occasional glance will often locate any crack.
Corrosion promotes fatigue but oiling the springs may prove too lively for cars with standard shock absorbers.
I Denso taped mine when new a couple of years ago. But there was a long discussion on here a while back with some pictures from, if I recall, Robert Foreman, of his denso taped springs having rusted away underneath, so I am wondering if I did the right thing.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!