The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Images
As the Austin now runs I thought I would take a few thermal images of the engine:

[Image: img_thermal_1540191894084.jpg]

Radiator hot spot is just the exhaust being seen though the radiator
[Image: img_thermal_1540191818950-e1540194296528.jpg]
Cheers

Mark
Nice Artwork !
Hi Mark,
That is very interesting 2&3 exhausts where the leave the block appear to be hotter than the outside two,
Thanks for putting up

colin
NZ
Have sometimes wondered how much warmer the head is gets between 3 and 4 compared with the front end.  On your engine it seems a little warmer - a larger area of white - but not much?

Colin
I should qualify the pictures as the engine had only been running at a fast idle for 10 minutes and the temperatures indicate the hottest and the coolest points in the picture.

(22-10-2018, 09:04 AM)Colin Reed Wrote: Hi Mark,
That is very interesting 2&3 exhausts where the leave the block appear to be hotter than the outside two,
Thanks for putting up

colin
NZ

Hi Colin,

Exhaust No1 is the hottest at 229 C however the centre ones could be 228 but it only picks out the highest and lowest
Cheers

Mark
Mark

It would be be very interesting to see the temperature around the carb and fuel pipe to understand the possibility of fuel vaporisation. It would probably be necessary to get everything stinking hot.

What camera are you using? We had a FLIR camera where I used to work, but didn’t have to opportunity to use it on the Austin.

Peter
It would be interesting to see what you get with the motor on power on a rolling road. If it's anything like the gas engines we built the exhaust temperature rockets on load.
This technology could be very useful indeed if applied to a vehicle that is prone to overheating and where the root cause has previously proved impossible to determine.
I played with a thermal camera a few years ago as we made them for firefighting.
I started with the engine:

.jpg   P7030_sn1549(black)_84.jpg (Size: 10.47 KB / Downloads: 100)  
.jpg   Argus images for andy b_60.jpg (Size: 19.6 KB / Downloads: 100)

I also used it to check for blockages in my radiator and for the spread of the heat effect:

.jpg   Argus images for andy b_51.jpg (Size: 22.53 KB / Downloads: 100)  
.jpg   Argus images for andy b_56.jpg (Size: 21.44 KB / Downloads: 100)

But the main reason was that I was having brake problems and wanted to check the temperature of the brake drums, as you can see here the rear was definitely too hot.

.jpg   P7030_sn1549(black)_94.jpg (Size: 10.54 KB / Downloads: 100)
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I find a finger quite effective for that Andy - though I grant you a camera might be less painful on occasions!!