The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second chassis No.
Just a question re chassis number location. My RP chassis is stamped as per normal by the left hand rear engine mounting bolt hole,but whilst doing a clean up I discovered another stamping on the right hand chassis rail ending just by the rivet for the front casting. Has anyone seen this on theirs? The stamp format/font look the same as the ,worn, original.

I've never seen a stamping there on an RP; on earlier cars they were at the front, but I think on the left. I assume that it's the same number, Peter (?). Does it look fresher than the "worn original"?
perhaps you have a repaired chassis, bits of this and bits of that ??
Both my 1929 chassis have the number stamped next to the engine mount and again immediately next to the nose piece casting. The nose piece casting numbers are in a smaller typeface.

Peter
(19-10-2018, 07:49 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: Both my 1929 chassis have the number stamped next to the engine mount and again immediately next to the nose piece casting. The nose piece casting numbers are in a smaller typeface.

Peter

just to clarify, on same N/Side?
(19-10-2018, 07:49 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: Both my 1929 chassis have the number stamped next to the engine mount and again immediately next to the nose piece casting. The nose piece casting numbers are in a smaller typeface.

Peter

I have 3 1929 cars, all 3 stamped in the location stated by Peter Johnso, ie NS.
Can’t comment on later chassis but if they are the same number in the above location then I would have thought OK

Peter

Which  engine mount ? The usual place for the chassis number is on the chassis rail near the front nearside engine mount which is quite close to the front chassis A frame forging.

To quote 'Identifying Austin Sevens'

"At first the number was stamped on the nearside rail, forward of the front engine mounting on the nearside.

Then sometime in the late '20s the works moved the numbering along the rail to just forward of the rear engine mount, adding the engine number.

In the early 30's only the chassis number was marked and located behind the rear engine mounting."

Ruaridh's picture seems to show only the chassis number so there are some variations which also include the unbodied chassis sent to Australia in the late 20's with no chassis number stamping at all.  

The dual stamped chassis are another possible variant.
(19-10-2018, 10:19 PM)Tony Press Wrote:

Peter

Which  engine mount ? The usual place for the chassis number is on the chassis rail near the front nearside engine mount which is quite close to the front chassis A frame forging.

Both numbers are on the near side rail. one immediately in front of the rear engine mount as shown in the photo above. The other in a smaller typeface next to the nose piece casting. Both the same way up.  The number next to the nose piece casting is not prefixed by the letter C. 

Neither of my chassis have the engine number stamped into them. One car is an A8 series, the other is an A9 series. 

Peter