The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching from 6V to 12V, voltage regulator?!
The inference being those in the racing fraternity who don't recommend them are not respected Rory ???? Hmmm interesting game you have chosen to play my friend.
Black Art Enthusiast
Ouch !
Ian
So there is no misunderstanding, and I hope he does not mind being named, but it was Terry Griffin who reccomemded the starter motor to me as something he really likes.
Just an independant observation guys. Irrespective of your differences in opinions the original poster would still like some guidance regarding his initial question. If he has decided to go down the 12v route then that is his choice. He is asking for help, not wanting to start an argument.

Put a lid on this before it gets seriously out of hand otherwise someone is going to end up saying something they will ultimately regret.

:"He who is truly nearer to God knows how to be silent, even when he is right."
Hey, calm down, Ian, this is supposed to be the Friends'  Forum. I don't know what's going on between you and Ruairidh, and I don't particularly want to know - it's certainly not something that needs to be aired on a public forum. I didn't get the same inference from Ruairidh's comment that you apparently did, but maybe there is something there that I don't know about ... You both have a lot of knowledge and experience to pass on via this forum, so please, as you suggest, kiss and make up and let's all move on  Heart
I converted a car by replacing the cutout with an RB106 (using only the cut out part of the unit - it's not hard to work out), winding the 3rd brush right back, replacing the bulbs & battery and that was it. Worked fine. It didn't have a wiper motor and horn was higher! You don't get the benefits of electronically controlling the dynamo but it still charged ok. If you do this always have a spare set of starter brushes with you - a 6v starter on 12v eats brushes (1930 type starter)

Charles
Ok guys, stop it right here!!

This is a forum, giving suggestions to people asking questions about technical problems. You may or may not share the same opinion on things, but as long as the given suggestions are not destroying anything or causing injury, it’s a suggestion and the questioner may decide, what’s worth it.

And on this thread somebody lost his temper (while all others kept the etiquette), so that forum members reported replies of this person as inappropriate.
Therefore, the post was removed, and my post should be taken as a sign, that reports will be heard and action will be taken, when appropriate.

Enough said!

Regards
Huey
Webmaster
The Management

[Image: manage_logo.png]
I agree with a lot of what has been said. A properly sorted 6v system can give results equal in most respects to a properly sorted 12v system. Where 12v wins is on lighting: if you want to use 36watt headlamp bulbs that will consume 12 amps on a 6v system, overloading any Austin Seven dynamo if it is setup to balance the load, and this can only be bad news. On 12v 36 watt headlamps take only 6 amps, leaving enough output to operate other things without problems. If you don't use the car extensively at night a good 6v system can be fine. I have chosen 12v for my Ulsteroid,but I keep the mag engine Chummy on 6v.
Dear all, i'm so sorry that I prompted the Starter motor discussion which morphed into a heated one. My input was to hopefully help our "friend" in Italy to avoid any future problems , not to raise the copse of 6 verses 12.  Anyone would think I had mentioned BREXIT..
I object to my post being removed, I certainly did not lose my temper and said nothing not true or vicious I actually offered someone here an olive branch rather than continue with his childish antics.
Black Art Enthusiast