The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching from 6V to 12V, voltage regulator?!
There are a number of uprated starter motors available for Austin Sevens, I have fitted one for somebody but have no personal experience to share about them.

This example is suitable for post 1933 cars: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Austin-7-Seven-...62fff3be36
(20-10-2018, 07:22 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: There are a number of uprated starter motors available for Austin Sevens, I have fitted one for somebody but have no personal experience to share about them.

This example is suitable for post 1933 cars: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Austin-7-Seven-...62fff3be36

I would wait and see what happens before shelling out nearly £200 for a starter.
The original 6 v is robust, if the engine is in good fettle, which it will be the starter is not going to be used extensively each time.
I am with Chris on this one as regulars will know! I have NEVER had a problem in over 35years sevening, I have run race cars with extremely high CR, genuine sports sevens and regular road cars, they have all started almost instantly on a 6v starter, and never had an issue with distributors, batteries or dynamos. If you are having problems anywhere it is other issues not because of the 6v system. For what it is worth, seems to be little with all the nonsense spouted here at times, take heed of advice Chris offered and spent your time and money sorting out your standard system. That goes for the rest of the car too, despite what some may tell you a seven in good fettle is entirely fit for purpose and will do everything it says on the box.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Emanuel,
Regarding the Starter motor if you feel that using a new modern starter motor is best for you Go for it, most of these
are new Japan Nippon denso make , and of the pre engaged TYPE which means that the gear engages with ring gear first before full power comes on.
I have used these and would recommend
you also have the benefit of all New parts and if using on a special keeping things original is not as important

Hope it all comes together ok and you have plenty of Enjoyment Driving it

Colin
NZ
Colin, all anyone is saying, and this happens a lot on here, is that by all means fit what ever starter motor you wish, convert to 12v, do whatever you like if you so choose, make the dam thing rocket powered if that floats your boat. However do not think for one minute that you have to in order to use the car as intended, I and many others can through experience prove to you that it is unnecessary that is all. So many times people get all hot under the collar about these discussions, I don't think there are many instances where anyone says you shouldn't do something, however there are lots of times when people will say you do not NEED to and therefore what is the point....... In my opinion most of the time these people are actually right.
Black Art Enthusiast
HI IAN,
If you read my post again you will see that I was not advocating any changes one way or the other just options,
I don't feel the need to have to justify my opinions,
It is up to the person reading my posts to make up there own
This is an open Forum for people to offer an opinion or advice no body has to take it.

Cheers Colin
NZ
HI COLIN,
Not sure why we are putting names in capitals but I will go with the flow. Chris KC, Zetomagneto and I, sorry if I missed anyone, were simply providing the information informing Emmanuel that he need not spend a not insubstantial amount of money on a starter motor. Your post appeared, and perhaps I am wrong here, appeared to be saying ignore this and fit what ever starter you want. Now I quite agree people can do what ever floats their boat to their own car and said as much, so not sure what the issue is, as you said this is an open forum and we need balance. I thought we were providing that balance as there had already been information on the expensive alternatives to the original starter. I am playing devils advocate again and asking WHY? Why when the std unit is perfectly serviceable and adequate for the job even with high CR. Perhaps I am just not getting the point of seven ownership anyway, I like old cars because they are just that OLD! I like building specials but IN-PERIOD SPECIALS for me that is the whole point, otherwise I would be keen on kit cars or hot rods not Austin sevens, but then perhaps I am just an oddball and out of step with the A7 community at large.
Black Art Enthusiast
Colin,

Does the pre-engagement prevent wear and/or serve another purpose please?
(21-10-2018, 09:11 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Colin,

Does the pre-engagement prevent wear and/or serve another purpose please?

Yes it does, you dont get a worn area of ringear because the pinion is fully engaged before it is driven, pre- engaged.
If the item appeals, it sounds like a good idea - particularly if you are competing with lots of short runs.

I can see why they are reccomended by those respected in the racing fraternity.