The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 speed gearbox ratios
Hi All
I rarely use 1st while driving my Ulster rep. It pulls away in 2nd with no problems. And fourth always seems a bit short (I mean it feels like there ought to be a 5th). Is it possible to have the gearbox modified, to alter the ratios to make 1st usable and 4th higher?
Cheers
Rich
(15-10-2018, 09:21 PM)wooster Wrote: Hi All
I rarely use 1st while driving my Ulster rep. It pulls away in 2nd with no problems. And fourth always seems a bit short (I mean it feels like there ought to be a 5th). Is it possible to have the gearbox modified, to alter the ratios to make 1st usable and 4th higher?
Cheers
Rich

Fit an overdrive ?
Fitting a 4.9:1 ratio back axle will probably get you nearer to where you want to be.
Or 19" wheels, if you are running on smaller rims
(15-10-2018, 09:21 PM)wooster Wrote: Hi All
Cheers
Rich
On my Ulsteroid I fitted some higher ratio primary gears in the gearbox. They are straight cut from Keith Rawson, so it whines in anything but top gear, but I can get the speedo past 60 in third with corresponding increase in first and second. With these gears it usually best to start in first, but I am general very happy with the set-up.
This chap does 4 speed as well as 3 speed gearboxes. http://austinsevengearboxservices.co.uk/...4590369273 -usual disclaimer-
The numbers on the website are the tooth count of the 1st motion shaft and laygear. The faster the layshaft is driven, the closer the intermediate gears come to the 1:1 top gear. If you do significantly raise the overall gearing, 4.9:1 CW & P and/or bigger wheels, you may find the large ratio gap between 3rd and 4th on the standard 4 speed 'box becomes more noticeable.
If top gear feels too low, the final drive ratio needs to change, no amount of tinkering with the gearbox will change that. Once top gear is where you want it, review the suitability of the intermediate gears.

For 'performance' driving a CR box is likely to feel better on the road, at the expense of some capacity for 'crawl' and mountain ascent perhaps.
(16-10-2018, 06:16 PM)Chris KC Wrote: If top gear feels too low, the final drive ratio needs to change, no amount of tinkering with the gearbox will change that. Once top gear is where you want it, review the suitability of the intermediate gears.

For 'performance' driving a CR box is likely to feel better on the road, at the expense of some capacity for 'crawl' and mountain ascent perhaps.

As I said- with a one to one top the only way to change the gearbox is fit an overdrive !!
(16-10-2018, 09:42 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(16-10-2018, 06:16 PM)Chris KC Wrote: If top gear feels too low, the final drive ratio needs to change, no amount of tinkering with the gearbox will change that. Once top gear is where you want it, review the suitability of the intermediate gears.

As I said- with a one to one top the only way to change the gearbox is fit an overdrive !!
Someone will suggest a five speed box in ha minute.Higher axle ratio needed.
(16-10-2018, 10:28 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(16-10-2018, 09:42 PM)Tony Press Wrote:

Someone will suggest a five speed box in ha minute.Higher axle ratio needed.
...or a larger tyre rolling radius.