The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D Type inner axle felt seal change
Arthur here's a link to a comprehensive list of books on the 7. You will have to click on books when you arrive. 
I do not know the protocols here , the link is courtesy of Austin Harris so if this offends may the management delete this post.

http://bruce-white.austinharris.co.uk/

This list formed the basis of my collection.

cheers Russell
(24-10-2018, 12:42 PM)squeak Wrote: Arthur here's a link to a comprehensive list of books on the 7. You will have to click on books when you arrive. 
I do not know the protocols here , the link is courtesy of Austin Harris so if this offends may the management delete this post.

cheers Russell

Hi Russell

I couldn't find a link to books anywhere...am I missing something...must be, as it doesn't seem to be there. I have 12 books on the A7 at present.

Arthur

(24-10-2018, 01:04 PM)merlinart Wrote:
(24-10-2018, 12:42 PM)squeak Wrote: Arthur here's a link to a comprehensive list of books on the 7. You will have to click on books when you arrive. 

cheers Russell

Hi Russell

I couldn't find a link to books anywhere...am I missing something...must be, as it doesn't seem to be there. I have 12 books on the A7 at present.

Arthur
Sorry, I'm a dunce sometimes...I had to lift the page up a little to uncover the wood books    Books 

Arthur
(15-10-2018, 01:54 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I use a long sharpened screwdriver, tap this in and behind the circlip then twist to allow enough room to grab with longnose pliers and extract.

I had no trouble getting mine out, please can someone help me on how to get them back in. !!!! Mine is a banjo axle if that makes any difference..
I am happy to tell you how I approach this, you are welcome to call me.
Photo of oil seal setup there is more info: on BA7C technical web site under axle oil leaks, can't do links   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russel   
What is your location?  There could well be someone nearby to guide you through any queries you may have.
Have a look at the A7CA (Austin 7 clubs association) ARCHIVES.  You will find copies of the Austin company spares booklets you can print out.  Also there are original record cards stating which bits of A7 changed and when the change  occurred.  You will have found the date and ratio of your axle stamped on the outside of the D casing.
Whilst lots of parts are interchangeable be careful of pitfalls with wrong parts seemingly fitting ok.
Do ask before fitting/removing/ordering.......its all been done before.  Some of the many A7 clubs have good websites with technical info.....but be aware of possible slightly bodge remedies......cross check with other solutions people give.
Not all threads are standard......e.g. half shaft and the swivel axles.  There is a list of threads in use somewhere that someone did based on a 1932 LWB box saloon.
Cornwall club is another site with good info.  One of the members also has one of the original Austin jigs for setting the mesh of the crown and pinion. 
The Ruby had more than one type of "D" type rear axles......in all subjects it always helps to say the month/year and chassis number of your car and the part number cast onto most parts.
The very last of the "D" axles (colloquially "the heavy") had some metric size bearings instead of imperial.
The castellated adjuster rings on that axle has a 16 TPI thread and 14 castellations which gives you a 4 to 5 thou adjustment per castle.
You will read in the various books the meaning of the numbers stamped on the end of the pinion and on the crown wheel (for setting mesh).
MY...., no, the wife's Ruby used to do every other weekend runs from Chelmsford to N Devon and back for a weekend home, while I was on a course up there for a few months.  Good reliable little cars.

Welcome to the 7 world.

Dennis
(06-02-2019, 05:48 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: Photo of oil seal setup there is more info: on BA7C technical web site under axle oil leaks, can't do links   Terry.

Here is the link to Terry's article: http://www.ba7c.org/technicalArticles/ax...aking.html
(06-02-2019, 07:19 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Russel   
What is your location?  There could well be someone nearby to guide you through any queries you may have.

Welcome to the 7 world.

Dennis

Dennis I am in Australia but I think your helpful advice is intended for Arthur AKA Merlinart.
I do however have a heavy axle to rebuild down the track and will come back to this thread then.  regards  Russell
Russel  Ah ok.

You may want to try and source the AC dual thrust bearings in the metric size while you can (while they are still available.) 3MDJT25. (got two eventually at £45 each)  
Also confusion was caused over the roller bearing (RHP MRJ 1 1/8.....apparently with differing arrangements of lips on the races.....you need the one that has no lips on outer and two lips on inner.  One place said it was available but at £250.......eventually got for £63.06 + £12.61 VAT = £75.67
Of interest also may be the two small lugs I built up in arc weld 180 degrees apart on the axle casing and the pinion bearing sleeve so that you can use a screwdriver between them to prize the torque tube + sleeve away from the axle without damaging the shims and also ensuring the sleeve remains with the torque tube and does not remain in the axle as it tends to if you just grasp the torque tube and try to wiggle it out. 

Dennis
(06-02-2019, 04:35 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I am happy to tell you how I approach this, you are welcome to call me.
Ruairidh,
Thanks for your help. One last question. Do you glue the seal into the cup or glue the cup into the axle?
Peter