The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NIPPY BAR???
[attachment=4164][attachment=4165]
[attachment=4164]
Morning all
Can anybody throw any light on what this bar could be supporting in elation to underneath a 1936 Nipp.  It's just into the leading edge of the luggage compartment.  Theres is addition Kini shocks on this car however this bar appears too far forward.
I am also told this Nippy runs on a Ruby axle
Any suggestions? Haven't taken delivery as yet so can't look myself.
Additional picture front offside, is this factory wher carpet cut out?
Regards
Rpm
there are some good images of Dave Griffiths' restoration here - this is a link on the Nippy archive...
http://s922.photobucket.com/user/daveg19...t=3&page=1
Also search out Andrew Goodfellows facebook site for Creative Metalwork as there are some good floor pan shots on there - a car he is working on.
There are clearly some later non-original additions here - those tall 'boxes' over the rear spring housing area in the floor pan, for instance.

Where the carpet cutaway is is approximately where there is a strut that goes across each footwell to hold the adjustable "seat distance" runners...
Thanks Jon, Im thinking of buying a mig welder gas/ electric need to find out what most people use , Then if need be sort some of these things out. hope it's not a serious problem. least i now know it is not part of nippy design.
didn't want a car to just polish.
Regards Rob
Look to me that the area behind the seat has been heavily altered, not sure why it has been cut away, or why that tube has been added, they are probably related and more pictures will no doubt reveal.

Ahh on another look the seats have been moved backwards, the brace across the floor showing through the carpet is the original seat hinge mount. The area behind the seats is structural and has been cut away to allow them to be moved back, the steel tube is probably some kind of bracing that has been added in an attempt to stop the whole body collapsing.
Black Art Enthusiast
Its difficult to be certain from the pictures but I think :-

1) The bodywork between the upper edge of the boot lid and the passenger compartment (the part underneath the stowed hood) has been cut away.

2) The drivers seat is particularly far back and if the replacement seats are the same size as the originals there seems to be more
room behind the seats than normal.

3) There is no sign of the raised curved section to give clearance for the diff in the raised luggage area behind the seats.

4) The prop shaft tunnel has either had a repair or an extension.

5) The vertical floor-pan step behind the seats has been moved backwards to give more storage space / room for the seats to sit 
further back. I wonder if the  "tall 'boxes' over the rear spring housing area" that Jon E refers to are the remnants of the old vertical edge.

6) If the floor pan has been extended backwards the bar could be above the area of the original support from the chassis extension
to the luggage area and may be an attempt to strengthen the rear end or address the problem of a "drooping rear". 

I think all Nippies and 65's had rubber mats rather than carpets so the cutout you mention would not have been original.
Thanks Guys for all your comments , both the seller and myself agree this is probably not the car for me, given my diy skills , but remains a lovely solid nippy with a very sweet engine.
it was trialled in its early days which to some would add to its long life and history.Very sad not to have owned this lovely looking nippy. just dont have the knowhow to correct and put right the alterations or the cost for a professional to carry out
Thanks all. My search for a nippy will continue.
RPM
(16-10-2018, 08:16 PM)Rpm Wrote: Thanks Guys for all your comments , both the seller and myself agree this is probably not the car for me, given my diy skills , but remains a lovely solid nippy with a very sweet engine.
it was trialled in its early days which to some would add to its long life and history.Very sad not to have owned this lovely looking nippy. just dont have the knowhow to correct and put right the alterations or the cost for a professional to carry out
RPM

Why don’t you just enjoy it as it is presuming it is a sound, if somewhat incorrect.
If it is reasonably priced go for it
My thoughts exactly, you said it is a sweet runner.
Black Art Enthusiast
(16-10-2018, 08:16 PM)Rpm Wrote: Thanks Guys for all your comments , both the seller and myself agree this is probably not the car for me, given my diy skills , but remains a lovely solid nippy with a very sweet engine.
RPM

I don’t know much (anything) about Nippys but is the clue to the mods the fact that the car was trialled. Moving weight back over the axle and perhaps also to gaining more ground clearance/axle travel?   
Roger
(17-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Roger Goldthorpe Wrote:
RPM

I don’t know much (anything) about Nippys but is the clue to the mods the fact that the car was trialled. Moving weight back over the axle and perhaps also to gaining more ground clearance/axle travel?   
Roger
Moving the vertical part of the floor rearward would get the driver sitting further back, or the Mod may have been done by a tall driver.