The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port polishing
As some of you will remember my Ruby,s engine was loosely assembled when I acquired her.
The valve timing gears are one tooth out when looking at the dots.
Am I correct re-timing one dot in the middle of the two dots ?

Also any point in polishing the ports while access is easy ?
Regards
            Tim
Regarding timing dots, yes that’s right.
If you are keeping the original manifolds, I’d say time spent polishing the ports would be better spent in the pub.
Alan Fairless
Matching the inlet port to carb and inlet manifold to inlet port on block would be better but then you wouldn’t have any time left to go to the pub.
Cheers,
Dave.
Didn't someone recently say that a few pattern parts had the dot in the wrong place?
In which case on an unknown engine it may be worth checking the valves open at appropriate times; though it seems a slim risk.

That aside totally agree! Polish your appreciation of bitter beer instead.
Thanks Chaps.
What camshaft end float would be a maximum?
0.002"
Although generally in agreement, it is worth ensuring that the head stud above the inlet port does not protrude into it, if so blend it back to the port roof. It is also worth breaking sharp edges left by the machining process and as Dave says matching manifolds, all these in isolation are hardly worth the trouble but every minuscule gain adds up. If you include unshrouding the valves and reprofiled cam followers into the equation you will have achieved a little more torque and possibly slightly more top speed.....however I live a long way from the pub so perhaps have too much time on my hands! Lol
Black Art Enthusiast
You need to move.
Alan Fairless
Hahaha very good, made me laugh out loud!
Black Art Enthusiast
I think POLISHING the ports on any engine, std or not, a waste of time!
Black Art Enthusiast