The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator Fixings
(14-10-2018, 11:33 AM)PhilM Wrote: Thanks Chris, that's pretty much what I've been doing but more than 50% of the time a blank page appears when I click "add attachment" and the file is not added to the list when I close that blank page???

.... Phil

Might do better to talk to admin then Phil as I have just checked my explanation above and can't improve on it.
Are your files jpegs?
(14-10-2018, 11:52 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(14-10-2018, 11:33 AM)PhilM Wrote: Thanks Chris, that's pretty much what I've been doing but more than 50% of the time a blank page appears when I click "add attachment" and the file is not added to the list when I close that blank page???

.... Phil

Might do better to talk to admin then Phil as I have just checked my explanation above and can't improve on it.
Are your files jpegs?

Yes, all jpegs,thanks for your help Chris. I'll try admin next time I have a problem.
I upload my pics to "postimage" and then cut & paste the .jpg link, in between [img] and [/img] - works every time.
A tip for soldering the studs into the bottom tank on rads is to cork up the filler cap hole and the top hose hole. Re connect the bottom hose but bend it downwards. Turn the rad upside down fill with water through the bottom hose (the top off the hose should be well above the bottom tank) only fill to just above the seam between core and bottom tank keeping stud holes dry ready to soldier. The water acts as a heat sink and prevents melting solder elsewhere in the rad.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
That sounds like a great idea, thanks John!

..... Phil.
Phil, re photo uploads, I just saw a comment in another thread which suggests there's a system issue at present - it may not be your method at fault.
By coincidence I have been working on a Ruby today. Here are pics of the radiator mountings - they consist of a brass 5/16BSF stud with a small collar at one end which is soldered into the bottom tank, fastened with a steel compression spring and a long hexagonal brass nut:

Mike, many thanks for the photos, they're just what I needed. 

With this information and the previous posts I should now be in a position to make an effective repair.

Many thanks to all who have contributed!

..... Phil.
It seems curious that the studs are simply solderd through and into the thin tank. With weight of the radiator seldom much variation in load but solder is very prone to cracking. Unless with a large flange, I woud expect to be brazed in or riveted over on the inside of tank
Remember, the studs are merely for location, the radiator is firmly supported by the bracket on the header tank.