The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Relph
Very sad. I didn't know Peter but have been recently reading early Association magazines and some of 'his' PWA7C ones so have experienced his influence and interests. Out of the blue two weeks ago I had a lovely email of thanks from him about a new article on Cherry Red on the Nippy archive. He reminisced briefly on his Nippy restoration back then (I imagine it must have been red?) and told me how valuable all this information was - and to keep going with it all - as he had tried to do with the start of the Sports Register back in the 70s.

His email feels especially poignant now, but for me is an an example of a kind, supportive action which gently catalyses things within the Austin 7 movement - in addition to his significant personal efforts. This is something that is not uncommon amongst Austin folk; it is the reason a selfless Austin 7 community flourishes - but that he has been committed as such for 50 years is surely an ultimate tribute.
Very sad news. We shared many Nippy experiences in the 1970s.
Sad news indeed. My condolences to his family. decades ago Peter and I competed together in VSCC events - my chummy is parked next to his Nippy in the Silverstone picture. What happy days; competition motoring on a shoestring with broken nails, permanently grubby hands - but enormous satisfaction and great memories for us all.
So sad. A great bloke.
Very sorry.  Will be sorely missed.  Always great to be around Peter at events..
I've only known Peter for a few years but anyone who met him can not have been captivated by his sheer enthusiasm for old cars in general and Sevens in particular.  He started and was the main motivator for an informal old car group around Church Stretton.  Starting only a few years ago with only a handful of people it has now outgrown the large meeting room where we gather once a month.  At the last meeting he said that he wouldn't be at the November meeting (he was going on a cruise).  How poignant.  Oh how we will miss such a lovely man.
I did not know Peter very well but he was a smashing bloke and I agree with Robin's comments above. Here is Peter and Robin and others at a joint PWA7C/VSCC meeting at the Riverside Inn a few weeks ago and Peter is third from the right:-

I did not know Peter very well but he was a smashing bloke and I agree with Robin's comments above. Here is Peter and Robin and others at a joint PWA7C/VSCC meeting at the Riverside Inn a few weeks ago and Peter is third from the right:-

(16-10-2018, 04:54 PM)Bryan Downes Wrote: I did not know Peter very well but he was a smashing bloke and I agree with Robin's comments above. Here is Peter and Robin and others at a joint PWA7C/VSCC meeting at the Riverside Inn a few weeks ago and Peter is third from the right:-

I bought the remains of a Nippy back in the 70s off Peter, a reay nice chap to deal with.I was a member of the sports register with another Nippy and a 65, really looked forward to the sports register news letter typed by Brenda.
Spoke Peter only a few months ago so a bit of a shock to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family.
I recognise the long leather coat that Peter is wearing in Bryan’s photo, his driving coat. I have photo of him in it driving a white Nippy - Brenda is in the passenger seat, both are grinning.

As a child I remember visiting their home on journeys north and south in my parents’ Chummy.

The last time I spoke to him was in August - I was in France and he’d sent an impassioned email about an A7 issue that was bothering him, the only way to resolve it was to call him. We had a fabulous chat and the matter was fixed in true Peter style - frank words, cards laid out, common ground found ending in heartfelt humour. I will miss those chats.

Admin received the following message and would like to share it with you all:

“I have just read all of the posts on your forum and am overwhelmed by the lovely posts of love, support, friendship and help that your members have shared about my Dad. What a lovely lot you are and on behalf of my sister Sue & I please pass on our thanks to everyone. You all know how much he loved his Austins 7’s and anyone that knew him know how much pleasure they gave him in life. Life for Dad was all about friends and family (oh - and ‘swag’.. how could I forget ‘swag..!’ so thank you for enricing his life. You can also count on a couple of new members as last Christmas he kindly gave his nippy to one grandaughter and his sports to another and I'm definately sure we will need this forums help as I cant say us daughters and grandaughters know the ins and outs of a manifold or a carburettor even though we've heard the troubles they can bring many many times over the years! He was a great Dad and a great bloke and he would want nothing else but for the world to carry on as normal. The trip last year made me laugh so many times when he phoned - the lederhosen, the yodelling and ‘Joe’. Well done you lot and thank you all so very very much. from Sue & Jenny.”
(17-10-2018, 07:51 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I recognise the long leather coat that Peter is wearing in Bryan’s photo, his driving coat.  I have photo of him in it driving a white Nippy - Brenda is in the passenger seat, both are grinning.

As a child I remember visiting their home on journeys north and south in my parents’ Chummy.

The last time I spoke to him was in August - I was in France and he’d sent an impassioned email about an A7 issue that was bothering him, the only way to resolve it was to call him.  We had a fabulous chat and the matter was fixed in true Peter style - frank words, cards laid out, common ground found ending in heartfelt humour.  I will miss those chats.

Admin received the following message and would like to share it with you all:

“I have just read all of the posts on your forum and am overwhelmed by the lovely posts of love, support, friendship and help that your members have shared about my Dad.  What a lovely lot you are and on behalf of my sister Sue & I please pass on our thanks to everyone.  You all know how much he loved his Austins 7’s and anyone that knew him know how much pleasure they gave him in life.  Life for Dad was all about friends and family (oh - and ‘swag’.. how could I forget ‘swag..!’ so thank you for enricing his life.  You can also count on a couple of new members as last Christmas he kindly gave his nippy to one grandaughter and his sports to another and I'm definately sure we will need this forums help as I cant say us daughters and grandaughters know the ins and outs of a manifold or a carburettor even though we've heard the troubles they can bring many many times over the years!  He was a great Dad and a great bloke and he would want nothing else but for the world to carry on as normal. The trip last year made me laugh so many times when he phoned - the lederhosen, the yodelling and ‘Joe’.  Well done you lot and thank you all so very very much.  from Sue & Jenny.”

Thanks R ,

I of course didn't know Peter but the Forum showed a true 'friends' attitude and a lovely reply arrived.

Excellent !

Tony.