The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner introduction
I seem to recall that Private Light Goods was the taxation class used for cars and small vans. Was it not Private (and) Light Goods?

Jamie.
What a great acquisition.  Its always fun to find a old vehicle that is as close to original condition as possible. I hope it brings you much enjoyment as you get things back to where you'd like its condition to be.

Stephen
Hi phil, and welcome.

I've recently changed one of our cars to historic.

I couldn't be bothered with all the speculation on here, or through clubs.

So One phone call with the DVLA, I asked the very simple question. What do I do to get the car changed to historic.

And they told me what to do.

It went something like, download a V70 form, fill it in. And give it to you local post office that supplied tax discs. They will send it in and your V5c will come back as historic.

When I took the form for our car to the post office, they threw the V70 form away. Suggesting the form is only for cars just turned historic. Not for 1920s 1930s cars.

It took longer than I expected, 6 weeks. But sure enough the V5c is now taxation class historic.

Try it. Give them a call and ask the question. Tony.

Ps, nice shed, but plug some gaps. And put some cheap padded flooring down. Before you start the car. Draughts and damp will damage the restoration, quicker than you can do it.
Many thanks for all of your replies suggestions and welcome messages.

The car is presently sitting under a tarpaulin on the patio whilst I clear a space in the garage so that it can sit alongside my MG Midget, that should happen in the next couple of days so she'll soon be in the dry. Then I can start to have a serious look at the size of the challenge. I've already started dosing numerous nuts and bolts with plus gas and sprayed all visible woodwork with woodworm killer as there is a fair infestation at least at the rear end.

I'm fairly resigned to the fact that I won't be trying to start the engine until I've given it a strip down and inspection, I would guess that after sitting for so many years, whats left in the sump (if anything) will be nothing less than a gloopy mess, besides which the wiring has  disintegrated to a the extent that I wouldn't put 6 volts anywhere near it!

As for the body, I'm aware that work will need to done (redone) on the bottom of both the A and B posts on both sides and at least one of the rear inner wings and the bottom of the battery box, I'm sure I'll uncover more as things progress, so I'll need to learn to weld it think! 

As somebody new to Austin Seven ownership I shall need some assistance along the way so I hope you won't mind a few newbie questions from me starting some time soon.

Regards,     ..... Phil.