The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner introduction
Hi everybody, I have been a member of this forum for some time but have not so far posted, I have been waiting to purchase an Austin seven from a friend of my partner for some time.

Meanwhile as a newbie to the Austin seven scene I have been monitoring the forum and picking up some very valuable information from current and past postings, it looks like this is a very valuable resource for a new Austin seven owner so now that I’ve finally picked up my 1936 Opal (two seater?) I hope you won’t mind too much if I ask some daft questions whilst trying to sort out my new baby.

CXB 773 is very much a project, having resided in a barn in Norfolk since 1991 she is not in tip top condition. I’m hoping my limited skills are up to the challenge of bringing my new pride and joy back to road worthy condition.

I’m attaching a few pictures which I’m hoping may be of interest, any information regarding its originality and background would be greatly appreciated. All I really know about her history is that she was purchased by the previous owners’ mother at an auction at the Suffolk show in 1970.

….. Phil.
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum. Your Opal is just the kind of project that gets all the forum contributors excited - lots of patina and potential. We look forward to hearing your questions. What are your plans? restoration or just enough to make it useable?

Peter.
Hello Peter, thanks for your reply.
Given the state of the car I think a "sympathetic" restoration is what I'll be aiming for, the body will need some patching up where daylight is showing in a few places and the interior is in a bit of a mess, wiring looks positively dangerous so plenty to do! 
there's little or no compression so I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of the valves are stuck open. A full engine strip down will need to be done having stood for that many years.
I'm not kidding myself that it will be a quick, easy or cheap exercise but hopefully it'll be fun!

Regards,    ..... Phil.
(06-10-2018, 09:38 PM)PhilM Wrote: Hello Peter, thanks for your reply.
Given the state of the car I think a "sympathetic" restoration is what I'll be aiming for, the body will need some patching up where daylight is showing in a few places and the interior is in a bit of a mess, wiring looks positively dangerous so plenty to do! 
there's little or no compression so I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of the valves are stuck open. A full engine strip down will need to be done having stood for that many years.
I'm not kidding myself that it will be a quick, easy or cheap exercise but hopefully it'll be fun!

Regards,    ..... Phil.

Good thinking - running a motor that has been stood for many years can cause serious damage .
PhilM,
Welcome!  Your car was built late October / early November 1935. The engine number suggests it was built September that year, so possibly a replacement, as engine numbers run later than chassis numbers.
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum - CXB 773 shows that it was first registered in London between March and May 1936.

It isn't listed on the A7CA Chassis Register so will be new to the register once you fill in the Notification Form - link below:

http://a7ca.org/chassis-register/notification-form/

It is however listed on the DVLA database showing as 'Untaxed' (in a red box) - the last tax being due on 1st November 1991 - so presumably it was taxed and on the road prior to that date. As it's on the DVLA database a V5 will have been issued for the car back in the 1980's.

Hi Phil - Ive sent you a private message
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Thanks Chris / Jeff,
I've already filled in the register notification form so hopefully it will appear there in the near future.

On the V5C and in the information on the DVLA database reproduced in Jeffs post you will see that the cylinder capacity is recorded as 858cc. Is it likely to cause a problem if I ask DVLA to correct this error, maybe i'll need to produce some documentation?
The same applies to the taxation Class which is recorded on the V5C as Private Light Goods will I have a problem getting Historic Vehicle status?

Many thanks,     ..... Phil.
Phil,

The cylinder capacity of 858cc was a mistake by the then DVLC now the DVLA when transferring the information from the old County record card / log book system to the then new - late 1970's to early 1980's computer database. The DVLC keyboard operatives confused our pre-war Austin Sevens with the 1959 Mk1 Austin Mini which when first introduced was marketed as the 'Austin Seven' - it of course had an engine capacity of 850cc. This anomaly features on a substantial number of pre-war Austin 7 V5's. The DVLC made a similar mistake when transferring the details of my 1936 Morris Eight Tourer to the database in 1983 - my V5 shows the the engine capacity as 885cc when in fact it should be 918cc. My Morris 8 has been off the road for a considerable number of years so I haven't as yet got round to changing the engine capacity on the V5.

Perhaps a previous owner had been using your Opal for business - maybe a small holder taking eggs or produce to market ? hence the Private Light Goods classification ? - I can't see a problem changing that as the riveted plate on the car clearly shows it as being an APE Opal and not a van. Probably best to join your local Austin 7 Club and ask their DVLA Officer to advise on updating the information on the V5C.

Jeff.
Lovely - those identity tags looks like they have never been disturbed. Have you got any early history from a buff log book? That probably wasn't its original green, perhaps.
Why not try and get the valves freed, change the oil and try a start with a jury tank if necessary?
Chances are it will probably run, but it will let you know condition of other bits like axle and gearbox if you run it on some flat private land, safely.