The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Diff Carriers
I have just been looking through my spares box and found some spare diff carriers.
Two of them are different widths as in photos, one 2.75” the other 3” across the main body, the bolt lengths are also different.
The mating joints have different widths of metal.
Can anyone explain what cars they may be off?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Roger,

I've got two on the bench right now. Both 2.76" across the faces give or take a Rizla or two.

Have you got two crown-wheel sides put together?
I agree with chris - you have two crown wheel sides facing each other - from what I can see.
(05-10-2018, 03:34 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I agree with chris - you have two crown wheel sides facing each other - from what I can see.

Ruairidh & Chris,
Thanks for stating the obvious......
That’s embarrassing, It was a senior moment I guess!
The bits were all loose in a box.

Roger
It happens to us all Roger!
If it had been me I would have had everything assembled and only at the point of putting it back into the axle casing would I have noticed!

As one who once assembled a banjo axle incorrectly (providing one very high first gear and 3 reverse gears), I can assure you that 'you' have nothing to worry about! Big Grin
Nice to know you’ve done that, too.
Alan Fairless
I've not done that - yet - but I know a man that has!! You'll appreciate that we all took it very seriously and didn't laugh. Rolleyes

Steve
(05-10-2018, 07:16 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I've not done that - yet - but I know a man that has!! You'll appreciate that we all took it very seriously and didn't laugh. Rolleyes

Steve

About ten years ago my very experienced friend (who hadn't worked on an Austin 7 for a while) put the crown wheel on the wrong side (picked up before final assembly) then timed the engine backwards ! 

I felt very clever until I tried driving this Austin 7 after 45 years of 'moderns'.

Cheers, Tony.
You have all made me feel much happier now that I know I amongst others who have learnt from some very silly mistakes, it is said that’s how one learns, I should know quite a lot very soon.

Roger