The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil tight Austin Seven?
(12-10-2018, 10:34 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: What was removed that totalled 240 Kg, please?

Colin

see here from an earlier post

"You did show some interest in the leather seats…..  Removing ALL the parts not used by the electric drive, I would like to list what I will not be using.
The ‘as fitted’ 3 bearing engine and gearbox - complete, as removed. [Video shows engine working OK]
Full exhaust from front to back - complete and assembled as removed
Radiator - but NOT the chrome cowl - This held water and seems undamaged 
Complete sliding roof, running track and rebated steelwork [seemingly OK but not catches as you know]
Leather seat COVERINGS only from the shells.
Rear Leather back seat in tact, and rear spring seat (not covered??)
Side door panels with floppy leather pockets, removed carefully but some wooden rot.
Side rear window panels - one good pattern, one rotten.
Petrol tank complete with fuel level electrics. [NB, the is being COPIED for further use]
4 Tyres, inner tubes and one oversized tyre which fits 19” wheels."
Thanks.  Does this add up to 240 Kg (530lb)?  Doesn't some of it have to go back - like tyres?  Is the idea that this weight now 'available' for the electric installation, or have I missed the point? Ideally, the weight of the completed electric car would end up back somewhere near where it started?

Colin
(11-10-2018, 12:27 PM)squeak Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 10:13 AM)Terry McGrath Wrote: The basic problem, which most fail to acknowledge, is too many people.

Reduce the world population and you solve most of the environmental problems.  We are capable of doing this humanely and voluntarily once we ALL recognise the looming disasters of unrestrained overpopulation. If we don't choose to do this nature will do it for us, with catastrophies, droughts, extreme weather, sea level rise etc.

I'm pessimistic about us acting in time.  It puts the restriction of our joyous use of Austin 7s into perspective...
Sorry about the rant,back to oil tight A7's ?

AMEN to that brother

Spot on Terry,to many people and growing fast.I was sent an email written by an Australian professor,basically all the environmental savings made over the last 5 years was wiped out by one volcano eruption.There are 200 active volcanoes in the world.
I believe environmental change has been going on since earth began,7 ice ages in the last 750 thousand years,The English Channel wasn't one 11,000 years ago.Egypt was green when the pyramids were built. Etc
The bit we/(well, Trump) haven't really cottoned onto is that the earth knows we are not as important as we think we are.

Or rather, it views us like a bit of irritant in the back of its throat that is about to be coughed out for good, reasonably soon.

Volcanic eruption and 6 months of permenent blackness taking out all photosynthesising plants, madam? You got it!
(13-10-2018, 03:59 PM)JonE Wrote: The bit we/(well, Trump) haven't really cottoned onto is that the earth knows we are not as important as we think we are.

Or rather, it views us like a bit of irritant in the back of its throat that is about to be coughed out for good, reasonably soon.

Volcanic eruption and 6 months of permenent blackness taking out all photosynthesising plants, madam? You got it!

Well! You are a cheery lot - a rather stupid discussion about making an electric Austin Seven has degenerated into a rather grim discussion about the future of mankind.

Back to Austin Sevens - this weekend we are holding a grand Meccano Exhibition for our Melbourne Club, so I placed the Chummy outside the gate (still with original petrol engine !) and a Meccano banner on the windscreen . Caused much delight and comment !!

Cheers, Tony from a lovely sunny Melbourne Spring day.
Gold Tony, Gold Big Grin regards Russell
(13-10-2018, 09:02 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Thanks.  Does this add up to 240 Kg (530lb)?  Doesn't some of it have to go back - like tyres?  Is the idea that this weight now 'available' for the electric installation, or have I missed the point? Ideally, the weight of the completed electric car would end up back somewhere near where it started?

Colin

As the Tribe are still beating the Drums, I can only point to my blog/website http://www.immortal-gems.co.uk - in which I explain (I think?) I simply weighed all the stuff removed to see if it allowed the equivalent weight for batteries..(I went to a weigh-bridge ie IN weight minus OUT weight).  Since then I've also removed more heavy stuff.

Adding to the sums, the petrol (which wasn't part of the calculation) holds 5 gallons, estimating that that petrol weight frees up +16.75 kilos. So if the Tesla Packs only weigh 100 kilos and the car was designed to carry 4, there should be a wide tolerance to fit (say) Mitsubishi NiMh packs to make the range >150 miles. 

If I end up with an A7, RP which is LOOKING like an original (just painted two tone), drives almost the same on electric charges, I'd be delighted. No MOT, Road Tax £0, Insurance <£100, charge for 75 miles for £5. 12v lights and modern GPS and accessories, silent, no FUMES.....WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ;-)
I love the eccentricities of driving old cars, they are different and I enjoy that. Making them the ‘same’ as something modern seems somewhat of a shame, to my mind.

I have spent the day in our beaten up old RK bombing around Speyside, the car whines, knocks and smells of leather, oil and petrol. It made me smile from ear to ear, it is absolutely the best fun.

I had hoped to post some pictures but the MyBB update is currently preventing that - I understand the Webmaster is on it however.

A very happy Ruairidh, having had a lovely sunny Highland Autumn day
Nail and head springs to mind Ruairidh!
Black Art Enthusiast
(14-10-2018, 08:22 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I love the eccentricities of driving old cars, they are different and I enjoy that.  Making them the ‘same’ as something modern seems somewhat of a shame, to my mind.

I have spent the day in our beaten up old RK bombing around Speyside, the car whines, knocks and smells of leather, oil and petrol.  It made me smile from ear to ear, it is absolutely the best fun.

I had hoped to post some pictures but the MyBB update is currently preventing that - I understand the Webmaster is on it however.

A very happy Ruairidh, having had a lovely sunny Highland Autumn day

Me too as well also ! 

Day two of the Meccano Exhibition went well as did my original 1928  'Chummy' - the petrol engine singing lustily on the way there !!

Lots of interest in the car again - at ninety years old and still running - see if these electric wonders last for ninety years.

What is the big deal about weight reduction - a standard Chummy weighs 8 cwt in real money- what does a Tesla weigh ?  

Cheers, Tony.