The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil tight Austin Seven?
(14-10-2018, 10:19 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(14-10-2018, 08:22 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I love the eccentricities of driving old cars, they are different and I enjoy that.  Making them the ‘same’ as something modern seems somewhat of a shame, to my mind.

I have spent the day in our beaten up old RK bombing around Speyside, the car whines, knocks and smells of leather, oil and petrol.  It made me smile from ear to ear, it is absolutely the best fun.

I had hoped to post some pictures but the MyBB update is currently preventing that - I understand the Webmaster is on it however.

A very happy Ruairidh, having had a lovely sunny Highland Autumn day

Me too as well also ! 

Day two of the Meccano Exhibition went well as did 'Chummy' - the petrol engine singing lustily on the way there !!

Lots of interest in the car again - at ninety years old and still running - see if these electric wonders last for ninety years  

Cheers, Tony.
Maybe the electric wonders will last 9,as long as their batteries.
I also have had a good day sorting petrol pump and carburettor, only a couple of skinned knuckles
And to crown it all will be in Sunny Glasgow next week ( for the food festival)
Ian
(13-10-2018, 03:59 PM)JonE Wrote: The bit we/(well, Trump) haven't really cottoned onto is that the earth knows we are not as important as we think we are.

Or rather, it views us like a bit of irritant in the back of its throat that is about to be coughed out for good, reasonably soon.

Volcanic eruption and 6 months of permenent blackness taking out all photosynthesising plants, madam? You got it!

I'm of the mindset that the petrol engine will keep on going for years to come.

I don't believe there is any energy source available for mass consumption that can truly claim to deliver sufficient alternative energy that is as reliable or ready for delivery to the masses at the moment.

Governments and major companies are still to agree and put in place plans for suitable distribution plans and infrastructure to the proposed alternative energy uses.
Have to concede the owner puts up a good case. just a pity he could not have found a less original car. I am also surprisd that it was elaborately repainted before the serious modification. A nice looking car does inspire work but also requires a lot of care. 
I find even a scruffy common 1960s car in regular use attracts a lot of interest so if the handling is acceptable the "Seven" could be  fun. 
I found a problem with the Seven was that pedestrians did not take seriously; assumed a low approach speed, and esp on the dim beams. Several were saved only by the ability to execute box like avoidance swerves. A silent approach would make matters worse.
Perhaps you could enlighten me Bob as to why the owners case is so good, I fails to stack up for me but maybe I just lack the intelligence to understand the fractured logic.
Black Art Enthusiast
(14-10-2018, 10:46 PM)Viteran Wrote: I also have had a good day sorting petrol pump and carburettor, only a couple of skinned knuckles
And to crown it all will be in Sunny Glasgow next week ( for the food festival)
Ian

Do get in touch if you’d like to meet up.
Have read through the whole website now, thanks - can see where the 240Kg figure came from and how this got to be a great deal more than the weight of a Seven engine, gearbox, exhaust and tank.  

Thinking about weight when considering electric vehicles arises from the large amount of energy available from gallon of petrol compared with the weight of a battery that can store the equivalent energy?  And in this case, for the proper functioning of the vehicle, ending up with a weight that is within the original Seven design parameters will help the chassis, suspension and brakes to cope?

As both battery and motor technology have come a long way, there is no reason why this shouldn't work well, with enough spent to get the desired power and range. Driving a 'silent' (and auto) Seven, though, would be surreal?  More like dreaming than driving?

Colin
(15-10-2018, 11:43 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: . Driving a 'silent' (and auto) Seven, though, would be surreal?  More like dreaming than driving?

Colin

More like automotive necrophilia!
So once this pretend Austin Seven is finally cobbled together I imagine there will be a long queue of Austin Seven enthusiasts wanting to own it...?

Thought not.
(15-10-2018, 09:40 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Perhaps you could enlighten me Bob as to why the owners case is so good, I fails to stack up for me but maybe I just lack the intelligence to understand the fractured logic.

Yes....but why would one want an EV MGA....the website mentioned back in this thread was fascinating, forgotten it now, now doubt an electric MGA is a phenomenal price! I suspect we'll look back at all of this in 10 years time when we're surrounded by silent electric cars. Take a look at the Talk Morgan forum, a chap in Ukraine is making  an electric copy of a 1909 Runabout Morgan 3 wheeler, even with a dummy engine....it looks superb though!

(15-10-2018, 02:14 PM)merlinart Wrote:
(15-10-2018, 09:40 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Perhaps you could enlighten me Bob as to why the owners case is so good, I fails to stack up for me but maybe I just lack the intelligence to understand the fractured logic.

Yes....but why would one want an EV MGA....the website mentioned back in this thread was fascinating, forgotten it now, now doubt an electric MGA is a phenomenal price! I suspect we'll look back at all of this in 10 years time when we're surrounded by silent electric cars. Take a look at the Talk Morgan forum, a chap in Ukraine is making  an electric copy of a 1909 Runabout Morgan 3 wheeler, even with a dummy engine....it looks superb though!

1910....http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/507396/Morgan_1910_Runabout_Replica_-#Post507396