The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Odd brake shoe (and a hunt for a proper one)
Thanks to all forum contributors who have helped me source missing bits for this axle build.  I'm nearly there but just realised that I've got a mismatched set of brake shoes.  These are the 1 1/4 inch shoes and as you can see I've got three correct ones and a stray (stray is third one down in the image and has a canted limb to it - not sure which model it came from but certainly isn't going to work).  Is there anyone out there who can help me find one more to match the set.  Happy to pay of course, so this goes in Sales and Wants too.  Does anyone know what the odd one is from?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think I have one available - please give me a call tomorrow. You could also try the usual 2nd-hand parts suppliers e.g David Wilkinson, Mick Moloney, etc.
Damian,
It’s from a 1935 ish pre Girling. The backplate is an elongated shape and I think the design was to increase the leverage applied by shoe on drum. Someone may be searching for one!
Damian, glad to see your rebuild is progressing faster than mine!

I'm afraid I don't have a spare but I picked up a set of four at Beaulieu and saw several others on various stalls so I doubt you'll have much trouble. Failing that 1" shoes are abundant and inexpensive, there were several on eBay last time I looked. I rather doubt there's any difference in performance & they are a straight swap - except for the drums I think.