The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo rebuild
Am attempting rebuild of late C35A dynamo that previous owner stripped down and left in a box of bits. I have no idea what he butchered/snipped. (Bear in mind that I don't really do electrickery. My understanding is limited to: Thing works=Good. Thing doesn't work=Bad. Thing smokes and catches fire=Very Bad).

I have just fettled a less deconstructed C35M (following the Cornwall A7 club notes on testing etc) and it's now working fine - but the connections are a little less obvious on the A.

I appear to have two wires from the field coils , the red one (ignore that it is poking out of the casing) and and bare one - there is continuity between them.

.jpg   P1100117.JPG (Size: 120.87 KB / Downloads: 337)

I know that one brush is to earth and I have identified which one it is.  The other brush presumably has a wire from it to the POS/D external terminal.  Then the smaller, moveable, third brush is connected to the field coils and then to the F2 external terminal.

.jpg   P1100118.JPG (Size: 115.75 KB / Downloads: 333)

But I  have two wires from the coils, the red and the bare. Which goes where?

I need to get hold of a few small bits - a brush spring, the two screws that hold the shoe plates in place between the coils, a woodruff key for the drive end, and a spring to hold the end cap in place. Any ideas where they might be obtainable?

.jpg   P1100119.JPG (Size: 87.14 KB / Downloads: 331)
Follow this thread for the mechanical bits (Gears,bearings etc)

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...ght=dynamo

Also,  it should look like this, remove the paint from mating surfaces as that will throw the bearings out of alignment and worse case prevent flow of "eletrickery"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks.

Still need to know where those two wires need to go.
The field connection poking out of the casing goes to the F terminal. The other end of the field winding goes to the 3rd brush. The insulated larger brush goes to the D terminal via a short piece of wire. By the way if you can find a C35M end plate with the later brushes it will fit straight on the C35A dynamo. Might make finding brushes etc a bit easier than the missing C35A stuff.
Good luck
Thanks Wild Willy. That's really helpful, especially the tip about using a 35M end plate. All is now clear.

Next question: Might anyone have a surplus 35M endplate they would part with?