The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auto vs. manual ignition setting?
(04-10-2018, 05:54 PM)David.H Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 09:04 AM)Colin Wilks Wrote: A very useful ready reckoner a forum member told me about is one tooth = 4.5°. 
I had calculated that the A/R range would be around 24°, but checking it by using a lamp on the points and looking at the flywheel shows I have a range of about  18°.
I have concluded that trial and error is the best bet and now have the static timing set with the timing mark opposite the oil gauge take off (about 18°BTDC), with the A/R lever at its mid point (I'm the only driver).
Make sure that advancing the lever turns the distributor anti-clockwise. It's easy to get the linkage arse about face.
Anti clockwise viewed from above?.....
David
Yes.
On my RP the advance lever moves the distributor about 1/2 inch at 2 inch radius, indicating near 30 deg of crank degrees.
The rod may not be original length; a short rod can give a reduced and very non linear range. Also spring loaded to eliminate back lash. Even for hand cranking retard beyond TDC is not necessary. It would seem far preferable to stick with full advance as the reference, as per handbook instructions. If tinkering it may be of interest to determine just where TDC is on the lever in individual cars.
(04-10-2018, 06:56 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 05:54 PM)David.H Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 09:04 AM)Colin Wilks Wrote: A very useful ready reckoner a forum member told me about is one tooth = 4.5°. 
I had calculated that the A/R range would be around 24°, but checking it by using a lamp on the points and looking at the flywheel shows I have a range of about  18°.
I have concluded that trial and error is the best bet and now have the static timing set with the timing mark opposite the oil gauge take off (about 18°BTDC), with the A/R lever at its mid point (I'm the only driver).
Make sure that advancing the lever turns the distributor anti-clockwise. It's easy to get the linkage arse about face.
Anti clockwise viewed from above?.....
David
Yes.

Thanks!
D
I'm not sure how successful this will be, but I modified my flywheel with timing marks in 5 degree increments so that timing can be assessed more easily against a pointer which will be attached to the crankcase.

Cheers,
Stephen
Painted clutch springs! I thought I was pedantic getting things looking nice Smile

Simon
It's away to differentiate the clutch springs from the valve springs which I don't paint....plus it looks nice !
Stephen