The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing Battery Charger / Battery
Hi,

Around one year ago I bought a new 6 volt battery but problems with the car and a lack of time means I haven't actually run the car since then.

Periodically I have been putting it on charge using an "intelligent" charger.   Normally, when you connect this it senses that it's a 6-volt battery and three lights come on, one to indicate mains voltage, one to indicate 6-volt operation and the other that it's charging.

Yesterday however only the mains light came on and no matter what I do no other lights come on.

I tried measuring the voltage between the two crocodile clips but this is zero.   On a more basic transformer / rectifier set up this would convince me the charger has failed but should I still get an output from an "intelligent" charger if it doesn't see a load?

I've tried to borrow a charger but all the neighbors ones are only 12-volt and I'm reluctant to buy another charger if it's actually an issue with the battery.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John.
If the battery is very low they will not charge, they are conditioner, not a charger and keep the battery topped up, I have several Aldi /Lidle ones and they work fine.
My intelligent charger GENIUS G3500 6 / 12volt which states that there must be a minimum of 2volts available from the battery (6 or 12 volts).
My charger is an intelligent one and yes if the battery is fully discharged I it does'nt work. However it does have a battery reviver if the plates are not to badly sulphated. Check your charger instructions. You could also charge your battery a little with an old fashioned charger then change to the smart one to continue charging until it it shows with luck a full charge. Not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs but don't forget to check the electrolyte level and leave the battery cells ventilated if the battery allows this.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Sounds a bit ominous for the battery. Has it in fact been fully charged originally and occassionally? An 80 ah battery takes two days while at 2 amps. 
The intelligent chargers intended for Low Maintenace batteries cut to a very low rate before fully charged. Intended to be left on for a protracted period. Does battery show any volts?
Old dead flat batteries often take a while to accept current even from a conventioanl charger, despite charge volts being present.
If the battery is very flat you could feed a 12v charger thru a length of old heater element wire, an (old) 6v headlamp bulb etc to get things started but need care not to overload the  bulb or charger, esp a borrowed one! 

The medieval chargers with large plate rectifiers are relaltivey immune to errors.

Incidentally, charging good batteries all the way at very low rates is/was reckoned harmful. About 4% of ah capacity was considered minimum.
Could you put it on the car and start it up with the handle?
My understanding is that the power required for the ignition is so small so providing there is something in the battery it should start the car and then will be charged by the engine running, at least enough for a smart charger to then recognise it.
Alternatively as others have said, I have used the £14:99 Lidl/Aldi chargers for years with no problems on even dead looking batteries.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(02-10-2018, 05:08 PM)John P Wrote: Hi,

I tried measuring the voltage between the two crocodile clips but this is zero. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John.

What is the battery voltage?

Attached Files
.png   Battery Voltage.PNG (Size: 159.36 KB / Downloads: 158)
Many years ago I had a battery go open circuit. That would have given a voltage of 0 if measured.
When I bump started the car in the driveway the result was spectacular. The side lights were on and they lit up very bright and illuminated the whole front garden until they blew. Likewise the ignition warning light lit up the whole interior.
The 3 brush dynamo tries to produce a constant current and in the absence of the battery the voltage went up to force 8 or so amps through whatever was switched on at the time.
Jim
John P, Please let us know if you manage to get a charge in your battery.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Bit of an update.

I still can't get anything using the intelligent charger even though, now I've found the instructions, it should pulse charge an "empty" battery although it's a bit confusing whether this function actually works with a 6-volt battery connected.

I did measure the voltage across the battery but this is only about 2-volts which probably explains why the intelligent charger isn't working.

I have now also got a very old and battered looking basic charger with a 6-volt setting which I have connected but isn't showing much sign of charging so probably the battery is defective which is annoying as it's only a year old but then I probably haven't charged it regularly enough.

In the morning I'll have another look and if it's held any charge I'll try the intelligent charger again.

Years ago I did get some EDTA powder from a friend who worked in a lab and this certainly helped revive an old battery I had at the time so I may consider trying that if everything else fails.

John.