The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol gauge problem
I fitted new sender unit fairly recently and gauge was working but without giving a steady reading. I loosened gauge and found that in certain positions it would read accurately without flickering but on re tightening the problem returned so I assumed it was a faulty earth. So I fished the gauge out again and noticed a blob of solder near the rim, at the back. Presuming this to be where an earth wire was originally attached I soldered another on and connected the wire directly to battery earth. 
The gauge is now dead — question, have I damaged the gauge by heating up that little blob of solder on the back? Am I now looking for another gauge?

Charles
I don't think so. The gauge should read full if the wire to the sender is removed from the sender and connected to the chassis earth. It would be good to check that the earth wire to the battery made a good connection with the chassis. Have a look at the following link.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&...7485653492
Charles,
If you look at the circuit of the gauge (Bobs link to Dorset site) Back of meter top left hand corner, there is an internal earth connection. This earth connection
could have been broken , causing the gauge to misfunction.If you desolder this connection you should see a thin wire pock out of a hole,using care resolder the connection. If this fails you will have to dismantel the to carry out a repair.Best of luck.
(02-10-2018, 04:29 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: Charles,
If you look at the circuit of the gauge (Bobs link to Dorset site) Back of meter top left hand corner, there is an internal earth connection. This earth connection
could have been broken , causing the gauge to misfunction.If  you desolder this connection you should see a thin wire pock out of a hole,using care resolder the connection. If this fails you will have to dismantel the to carry out a repair.Best of luck.

Many thanks for helpful posts — will have a play tomorrow and, with luck, sort it out.

Charles