The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
All Alloy Cup progress
Ooh shiny.....

Those are very nice Bill, well done...lots of hours in there, another labour of love

Aye
Greig

.jpeg   7C03725F-3BF7-4B77-B396-582AD2421104.jpeg (Size: 124.42 KB / Downloads: 416)

Engine about to go in, after final checks on gearbox and clutch.

Waiting on wings back from the welders
and the radiator cowl from the platers.

Weather is warming up and can soon
get onto lacquering the bodywork before final
assembly.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Bill, I would like to see that petrol pipe coiled horizontally rather than vertically; you have the potential for an airlock as it is.
Thanks Mike,

I’ll think about that, still pondering about fitting an air pump to pressurise
the tank to about 1psi. Just bought a nice brass bodied pump for next to no money
from the USA :-) Now looking for a 1-5 psi gauge.

It would be easy enough to turn the pipe .

Thanks again for the tip.

Bill G

.jpeg   8D64A520-0640-44F1-9A66-061BEA0B26A5.jpeg (Size: 53.19 KB / Downloads: 296)
.jpeg   FEA24133-F420-4584-A343-5D4810EA0476.jpeg (Size: 54.55 KB / Downloads: 293)

.jpeg   9FF8A12E-B31C-48A1-A49F-59AA4156C38C.jpeg (Size: 44.52 KB / Downloads: 293)
.jpeg   76DCB9EB-ADF9-4307-836C-1ABC5DDD1939.jpeg (Size: 45.7 KB / Downloads: 291)

Spent this morning trial fitting the newly made door locks and adjusting the outer edges of the doors to be a snug fit against the body shell.

It was a good idea to have an overlap door, plus the added bead , riveted on , allowed me to bend the beaded edge to neaten up the fit.

It will now all need dismantled, with some stuff to do to improve the interior look. The trim cards need packed out at the front corner to match the other interior cards.

With the weather picking up I’m nearly at the stage to do the final body prep, scotchbriting etc and then spray on the Nyalic lacquer. Then I can do the final polishing on the locks etc and nickel plate them.

Hoping Duncan approves of the door fit!

Regards

Bill G

Sent from my iPhone
Amazingly warm, dry, not much wind and few insects! so
Decided to take the plunge and finalise the metal finish on
The bonnet and the bulkhead, with Scotchbrite, washdown then meths
To clean off and spray with the magic Nyalic!

Drys very quickly, no runs and ultra smooth protective finish.

Not too shiny, just looks Aluminium! Which is 
why it’s called the All Alloy Cup!!

Hope to do the boot lid and doors tomorrow.

Wings are now finally welded and just need some fettling before they get a couple of coats
of Nyalic, plus install anti chip pads under the wings.

So progress is made...

Regards

Bill G

.jpeg   D7381901-90A4-4927-ADCE-DEDB82861959.jpeg (Size: 123.88 KB / Downloads: 210)
.jpeg   D1392F1A-E6B0-44F6-A041-2FAED9B00CAF.jpeg (Size: 96.71 KB / Downloads: 210)
.jpeg   949094D4-DB83-4686-8B26-D2795440D406.jpeg (Size: 70.18 KB / Downloads: 210)
Looking good Bill, and yes, the doors pass!
Just be careful about getting petrol on the Nyalic. Apparently it's isn't fuel resistant. They carefully avoid mentioning that in their marketing materials. I couldn't use it on my special since, unlike an under the bonnet tank, the fuel tank is in the boot and the filler will poke up through the aluminium skin and the chance of spilled petrol is too high.

Simon
Thanks Duncan and Simon for the useful and kind comments.

The Nyalic instructions do mention not to use solvents to clean it.

The Cup has an early Chummy underbonnet petrol tank so contact with fuel should
be unlikely.

The supplier also sell kits for motorbikes which would be more prone
to fuel spills I’d have thought.

Nyalic seems to go relatively hard even though it’s very thin.

Time will tell. It’s certainly easy to use, much easier to spray than normal paint aerosols
as it wets quickly and self levels. Goes well  off  in about 3 hours at 16C .

Busy today installing all the underbonnet bulkhead and wiring, plus the looms to the dashboard and the tail lamps.

I think I can just begin to see the light at the end of this 4 year tunnel!!!
It’s certainly guaranteed to keep a retired person active!!!

Regards

Bill G

Aka AllAlloyCup
HI All,
If you have a Spill with a solvent based product onto NYALIC  just wipe off and respray and you will not tell the difference, but generally when wiped of straight a way no damage

Colin
NZ