The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Austin Seven
Hi 
As a newcomer to the Austin Seven forum I would like some advise on how to modify my recent purchase for VSCC trials.
The vehicle is a 1927 special (6v) I'm about to start rewiring but my major concern is the amount of ground clearance required to successfully compete. As you can see from the photo's the car has lovely running boards which I would prefer to retain plus a very low rear end. It looks fantastic and i'm reluctant to modify, can anybody advise if its possible to lift the body to gain extra clearance?
Any other advise regarding trials modifications would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is it on 19" wheels at the rear?

It probably has flattened rear springs, you could replace with standard springs which will make the rear end sit up nicely.

Raising the body is not an easy option.   Nor is changing the springs, but there will be fewer resulting problems to resolve after changing springs.

If you can manage it, neither the exhaust nor the battery should project below the chassis rails.

I lost the box and battery on the last trial I did.

How far below the bottom of the chassis rails are the running boards?

A photo of the underneath would help.

Simon
Hi Simon
thanks for the reply, yes she does sit on 19'' wheels.
Since the photo was taken I've removed some crude homemade springs (like old pram springs) that were attacked to the rear axle and chassis, effectively pulling the body down.
I'm still worried about clearance, only time will tell.
The battery I plan to refit to the rear as it does sit under the car at present, the exhausts not a problem as it runs outside the car on the n/s.
Now I,ve check the car over the first major job is to rewire, hopefully it should be on the road properly in the spring.
Many thanks
Paul
(01-10-2018, 11:11 AM)Paul Nott Wrote: Hi Simon
thanks for the reply, yes she does sit on 19'' wheels.
Since the photo was taken I've removed some crude homemade springs (like old pram springs) that were attacked to the rear axle and chassis, effectively pulling the body down.
I'm still worried about clearance, only time will tell.
The battery I plan to refit to the rear as it does sit under the car at present, the exhausts not a problem as it runs outside the car on the n/s.
Now I,ve check the car over the first major job is to rewire, hopefully it should be on the road properly in the spring.
Many thanks
Paul

If the springs you removed were coils (like bed springs) mounted on aluminium blocks on the axle they were probably "Nobby Spring Assisters" ....They were fitted to my axle and onto the rear floor (no extra support or "load spreading!)
A "period" modification! You may find an old ad on Google ....10/6d  a pair or something!
I took mine off! The mounting blocks were broken anyway!!
David
If it is any help:   my '34 Tourer has 7" of clearance between the top of the tyre and the underside of the middle of the muguard.

The bottom edge of the running board is about 1" below the bottom of the chassis rail, and 13.5" from the ground.   The rear chassis rail is about 2" lower than that.

I think the springs on the tourer are set too high, the back end looks a little jacked up.

Plenty of clearance for trialling, if I was that way inclined.

If you put the battery in the back, and it is still 6 volt, use the heaviest duty cable you can.   My local shop has a choice of standard or h/d, and the h/d improved starting even over the distance from a standard position.

Earth cable straight to a gearbox stud.

Simon

Now you have me thinking - if I wanted to trial that car, but not change the springs.....

Which in turn has generated two more thinks: 1)  one way to lower a car is by removing leaves - worth checking.
                                                                       2)   the back end is too low, anyway.   Something needs to be done

...................one could provide an extra set of axle spring pin eyes below the existing ones

I think I could do this without modifying the orriginal axle permanently.   And without crushing it, which exhaust clamp type clamps can do.

But I doubt the scrutineers would like it much.

Simon
Nice looking special. It would be a shame to trial it and knock it about (which WILL happen). If you don't want the "Nobbies" I'll look after them for you. Don't let the Swallow owners know your address or they'll be round in the middle of the night for those bulkhead vents...
I think if I was trialling it I would take the wings and guards off and replace with cycle type wings - they need only be bits of ali sheet.

Simon
Hi guys
thanks for all your replies, I'm also coming to the conclusion that the mudguards and running boards will have to be removed.

Do you know of any supplier of simple cycle wings?

I do agree its probably a bit to pretty to trial, once I've rewired and done all the recommissioning work I may think again.

However I really want to trial, I'm not a polish and show kind of guy, more a 5000 rev's, mud, rain, wind and beer kind- so the 'old girl' may have to accept a few knocks and scrapes!
Thanks for the advise.
Cycle wings? Cheap option - here: https://www.towsure.com/plastic-mudguards-pair
Rod Yates will make you a set for a decent price.
Black Art Enthusiast