The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuses
Colin Morgan is correct. The glass car fuses are of a quick blow type. In electronic equipment in my work I used anti-surge fuses. This is not for use in our Austin 7 etc. Also its OK to use a fuse marked 250v. its the rating in amps that matters. Hope this helps.
The voltage rating is to do with what voltage the fuse can withstand after it's blown and not have it arc across. If it arcs across it's not acting like a fuse anymore. As long as the rating is higher than they voltage in the circuit then you're fine.

Fuses protect again current so that's the rating you're most interested in. The slow blow or fast blow is about how the fuse can handle momentary surges, usually when things power on such as capacitors in power supplies which momentarily draw a ton of current.

I think for older cars you use fast blow as has been mentioned.

Simon
(29-09-2018, 10:22 PM)jansens Wrote: The voltage rating is to do with what voltage the fuse can withstand after it's blown and not have it arc across. If it arcs across it's not acting like a fuse anymore. As long as the rating is higher than they voltage in the circuit then you're fine.

Fuses protect again current so that's the rating you're most interested in. The slow blow or fast blow is about how the fuse can handle momentary surges, usually when things power on such as capacitors in power supplies which momentarily draw a ton of current.

I think for older cars you use fast blow as has been mentioned.

Simon

It took me two days but then I remembered a Forum discussion sometime back on the Fuse Wire to be used in the Lucas CF1 cutout- I commented that standard house lighting fuse wire (8 amp in Australia) could be used in place of the nicely cut aluminium fuses originally fitted. These are nominally for a 240 volt circuit but of course this has no effect on the suitability for 6 volt use.

The saloon still has three originals in place !

Cheers, Tony.
Dave Mann, hens teeth arrived today, 99p on Fleabay

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I was amazed to see that one of the original fuses had survived on the control box/ fuse block for my  1929 Seven. Made of what appears to be thin lead or tin it is shaped like a spanner and is held to the posts by two round knurled brass nuts.

I've often wondered if it would be worth making duplicates and using them for the intended purpose.
Cheers,
Stephen
(03-10-2018, 02:07 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: I was amazed to see that one of the original fuses had survived on the control box/ fuse block for my  1929 Seven. Made of what appears to be thin lead or tin it is shaped like a spanner and is held to the posts by two round knurled brass nuts.

I've often wondered if it would be worth making duplicates and using them for the intended purpose.
Cheers,
Stephen

They are  very soft and easily damaged - fiddly to make - use fuse wire !
Thanks Derek.