The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not really Rivet Counting!
Getting to the stage of reassembling wings etc for a trial "fit" on the AG tourer and I wonder which way are the bolts inserted?
When dis-assembled there were bolt heads on the outside looking in & on the inside looking out! Totally (apparently) random! Quite apart from many being metric roofing bolts!
To my mind the logic would be to have the heads outside so any  threads sticking out beyond the nut was not exposed to the elements, BUT for rear wings would the bolt length into the rear passenger area foul the wheel arch trim (ply & rexine) or whatever?
As an aside: I think a little thought on the part of Mr Edge or later minions could have made life much easier to remove the radiator etc without having to undo / remove everything in sight! Perhaps there is a sequence that evades me, or maybe my radiator is, along with the gearbox/engine mountings/not the original.....
(28-09-2018, 07:58 AM)David.H Wrote: Getting to the stage of reassembling wings etc for a trial "fit" on the AG tourer and I wonder which way are the bolts inserted?
When dis-assembled there were bolt heads on the outside looking in & on the inside looking out! Totally (apparently) random! Quite apart from many being metric roofing bolts!
To my mind the logic would be to have the heads outside so any  threads sticking out beyond the nut was not exposed to the elements, BUT for rear wings would the bolt length into the rear passenger area foul the wheel arch trim (ply & rexine) or whatever?
As an aside: I think a little thought on the part of Mr Edge or later minions could have made life much easier to remove the radiator etc without having to undo / remove everything in sight! Perhaps there is a sequence that evades me, or maybe my radiator is, along with the gearbox/engine mountings/not the original.....
I would put heads on outside.  Use stainless then you can cut off the excess protruding bolt beyond nut inside ...stainless so no rust and as they are not fixing a stressed mechanical assembly, stretching and stress braking is not an issue. If you do not want to use nyloc nuts NORD-LOCK washers or similar HEICO-LOCK washers will prevent loosening. Stainless shakeproof and spring washers are also available.
SUPPLIERS  (washers are in pairs)
Helco-lock   Nuts and bolts Ltd  = ebay seller   email sales@nutsandboltsuk.com this year purchase M12 (1/2 inch £5.99 for the pair - free p/p {note I only bought the one pair})
Nordlock  www.rlwctrades.com  (last purchase of M8 {5/16inch} £12.50 for 25 pairs) this year ebay purchase free p/p.

As ever I think you will find that the more you buy the cheaper it is per item.

Fastenings
I get a majority of my nuts/bolts/screws from 
Spalding fastners www.spaldingfastners.co.uk   lots of tech info on their site (I think they sell on ebay)

OR

KAYFAST  www.kayfast.co.uk 01924 276 555.   phone and the lady will tell you if they have got the item and will tell you the ebay item number ..... it is cheaper on ebay and is post free .... seller ID kayfast1 ....all pictures of their items have KAYFAST ghosted over them for quick finding.

Unless you want 100% originality metric equivalent sizes makes life easier  Blush   (Do concourse judges measure the head sizes of fastenings?  Big Grin

Dennis  (ps. nothing wrong with roofing bolts......nice slim heads with large diameter to spread load Wink )
(28-09-2018, 11:02 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:
(28-09-2018, 07:58 AM)David.H Wrote: Getting to the stage of reassembling wings etc for a trial "fit" on the AG tourer and I wonder which way are the bolts inserted?
I would put heads on outside.  Use stainless then you can cut off the excess protruding bolt beyond nut inside ...stainless so no rust and as they are not fixing a stressed mechanical assembly, stretching and stress braking is not an issue. If you do not want to use nyloc nuts NORD-LOCK washers or similar HEICO-LOCK washers will prevent loosening. Stainless shakeproof and spring washers are also available.
SUPPLIERS  (washers are in pairs)
Helco-lock   Nuts and bolts Ltd  = ebay seller   email sales@nutsandboltsuk.com this year purchase M12 (1/2 inch £5.99 for the pair - free p/p {note I only bought the one pair})
Nordlock  www.rlwctrades.com  (last purchase of M8 {5/16inch} £12.50 for 25 pairs) this year ebay purchase free p/p.

As ever I think you will find that the more you buy the cheaper it is per item.

Fastenings
I get a majority of my nuts/bolts/screws from 
Spalding fastners www.spaldingfastners.co.uk   lots of tech info on their site (I think they sell on ebay)

OR

KAYFAST  www.kayfast.co.uk 01924 276 555.   phone and the lady will tell you if they have got the item and will tell you the ebay item number ..... it is cheaper on ebay and is post free .... seller ID kayfast1 ....all pictures of their items have KAYFAST ghosted over them for quick finding.

Unless you want 100% originality metric equivalent sizes makes life easier  Blush   (Do concourse judges measure the head sizes of fastenings?  Big Grin

Dennis  (ps. nothing wrong with roofing bolts......nice slim heads with large diameter to spread load Wink )
Thanks Dennis
I prefer to stick to BSF etc if I can, & use spring washer + a plain washer where suitable. I like a spot of Loctite as well !
Nord Lock I remember back in the 70's when I worked for Linread (UK fastener manufacturer) We were involved with thread forming fasteners (Taptite & it's variants) where the trilobular thread on the screw formed the female thread in the parent material & we tested Nord lock & found on the vibration test rig that their joint came loose & the Taptite screws joint did not! Mostly used into castings where you could get at least 1 1/2 diameters of engagement.
I too find Spalding good suppliers
I am running out of "samples" that I squirrelled away from those days and wince every time I have to pay "corner shop" prices when I remember what we sold for in 100's of thousands!
If your using stainless then do not forget copperslip stainless is very abrasive and will pickup if no copperslip used !  I use stainless everyday in a job I do 
You will wish you did when you or somebody else try,s to remove ?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Heartily agree with copperslip and stainless, I always keep a tin to hand (but have to remember to put the lid on when using the grinder )