The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More prop shaft woes
Having decided that after my debacle with my existing prop shaft(a loose fit with one of the races, I would save some cost and machining by ordering a new one(Hardy Spicer both ends with a sliding joint for an Ulster Rep). After ordering a new one from from one of the usual suppliers, the new one arrived. the large diameter tube is 1 7/8 inches, whereas the old one (largest diameter) was 1 1/2 inches. The engine and gearbox are out, but this seems too large and I'm concerned this will have clearance issues. Does anyone have an Ulster Rep or even standard car and can tell me what the diameter of the largest tube on their prop shaft is? As I am in the US, it isn't an easy exchange. Almost two inches seems much too large and might not clear the tunnel.

Erich in Seattle
(27-09-2018, 05:32 AM)Erich Wrote: Having decided that after my debacle with my existing prop shaft(a loose fit with one of the races, I would save some cost and machining by ordering a new one(Hardy Spicer both ends with a sliding joint for an Ulster Rep). After ordering a new one from from one of the usual suppliers, the new one arrived. the large diameter tube is 1 7/8 inches, whereas the old one (largest diameter) was 1 1/2 inches. The engine and gearbox are out, but this seems too large and I'm concerned this will have clearance issues. Does anyone have an Ulster Rep or even standard car and can tell me what the diameter of the largest tube on their prop shaft is? As I am in the US, it isn't an easy exchange. Almost two inches seems much too large and might not clear the tunnel.

Erich in Seattle
Hi Erich, thats only 1/16” each side, on other words whatever clearance you had will only be reduced by 1/16”. These shafts were made and designed to fit an Austin Seven I would be very surprised if you have a problem with it.
I'm working from memory as the car isn't here but I'm pretty sure mine could accommodate an extra 1/8" - depends on a few things though e.g. your propshaft tunnel, driveline height etc. -  can't take it for granted that one car's the same as the next.
The prop shafts from A7C work and fit perfectly in my experience - if they don't, then I fear something else is wrong.
Erich, just measured new propshaft bought last year. 2" dia and fits my RN saloon with plenty clearance. Would also fit my Ulster rep with no clearance issue.
Erich. The propshaft you describe sound like they would fit any car Austin produced. You must accept that your Ulster Rep is essentially home made and any prop clearance issues are as a result of the builders decisions rather than the suppliers prop shafts being too bug in diameter
(27-09-2018, 07:48 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The propshafts from A7C work and fit perfectly in my experience - if they don't, then I fear something else is wrong.

Agree with Ruairidh. If your new prop doesn't fit, something else is wrong. 

Steve
Thank you all. The new one is better made than my old one with zero fittings at the yokes which my old one didn't have. Zeto, it must be my math, but the 1 1/2 to 1 7/8 inches seems like an extra 3/16 each side.

Erich in Seattle
When you come to fit it Eric, I have found that if you make the bolts the exact length required (front and back) it will all come together more easily.
Thank you Ruairidh. Will do. I'll have to order new nuts and bolts because some mook in customs forgot to put them back in. Some customs officer now has BSF nuts and bolts that won't fit anything he or she owns.

Erich in Seattle