The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque tube ball end seal
Subject - torque tube ball end felt seal and its housing. (for my 1938/39 rear axle).
Items shown in spares list 1586 (Oct 1937) as - Housing = 1A7640  Felt 2K5560. This appears to be standard to all torque tubes after at least 1936 including being shown on the Big Seven spares list 1598A and B.

Front being the front of the car:- Where does it fit at the ball end of the torque tube?
1. I presume that it fits behind the front ball bearing? .
2. With felt in front of housing next to the bearing?
3. How is it actually held in place?

or is it just behind the pinion shaft prop-shaft flange with the felt around the backward facing spigot
4. Is there a modern lip seal that replaces it?
5. what is its actual job?
John Platts Austin Seven Centre spares list has felt seal for 1939 pinion 2K5560 But no illustration showing for 1939 and it is not shown in their earlier axle illustrations!
Any pictures of the assembly exploded....?  I am using a ball bearing with seal on forward side but not on rear side.

6.  The breather plug.....is that on top of the torque tube or does tube rotation fit so that it is underneath?
  Bizarrely the breather is listed with the back axle under "axle case with nearside tube and end" rather than with torque tube...part 1G7042 air vent plug.
It is actually shown in the Austin Seven Centre John Platts spare parts catalogue...item 47 -1G7042.

It is unfortunate that the late 1938 to 1939 axle is totally ignored in all the books I have on A7 (Bill Williams special builders guide, 750 club special builders guide, 750 club "companion"  It is rather a long time since I stripped the axle and any way I think the pinion seal was wrong or missing altogether.

Finally....what is the best way to ensure front pinion bearing is kept lubricated?

Dennis
Information so far:
The seal sits behind the bearing with the felt facing the rear of car.
new question: what holds the metal carrier in place and what stops the felt dropping out the carrier into the torque tube?

Apparently seal is to stop leakage of oil (diff oil) out of the front of the tube.  Austin thought it necessary to have it (after 1935) Have been told it is not necessary .....(surely Austin would not waste money fitting/machining for an unnecessary part?
If you have left it out what is your experience ....oil leak, no leak, minimal leak?
I will be using the car a lot and with a fairly expensive oil and additive (Anti Friction Metal Treatment....Prolong in USA - now synionic in UK)(MIRAS proven) so don't want to be constantly topping up the rear axle!

Front pinion ball bearing should be put in with front seal removed so it can be lubricated by grease via the ball joint greaser.

Dennis
My 1936 Nippy always has a drip from the front of the torque tube. I've not investigated it yet.