The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the subject of overpriced sporting replicas
I did go to their eBay shop. Are "kitchenalia" and "breweriana" even words?

Erich in Seattle
I did ask an eBay seller of obviously fake drawings why he was describing them as if recently "discovered" in an old portfolio, but got no reply...and I think that the term "kitchenalia" is cognate with "marginalia', or perhaps "genitalia"...
(26-09-2018, 03:36 PM)Erich Wrote: I did go to their eBay shop. Are "kitchenalia" and "breweriana" even words?

Erich in Seattle

Erich,

Yes, here in the UK these words are frequently used to describe collectable items pertaining to old kitchen furniture and utensils and those associated with the brewing and pub trade. A similar term being 'Railwayana' - of which I'm a small collector - these being genuine old collectable items relating in my case to British Railways in the days of steam haulage - here in the UK that's pre August 1968. Certain items of Railwayana can fetch serious money at auction, for example steam locomotive nameplates - needless to say these items are way out of my price range ! Even the once ubiquitous vitreous enamel station name plates known as Totems from the period 1948 to 1965 can fetch a few thousand pounds each.

Jeff.
I can't knock expensive railwayana - replica signalboxes and the like have paid the bills for the last 25 years!

I've been trying to give them up for the last three years in favour of A7 woodwork, but people keep finding us (as the only source of supply) and ordering the things.  Latest offering below.    
The Signal Box looks superb Martin, if I had the space and the spare cash I'd place an order ASAP ! I've been in contact in recent months with my old school friend Judith Whalley - I understand you've done some excellent work for Judith and Bruce's miniature railway at Weston Park in Shropshire.

Of note to Erich, the British Railways Ground Signal on the extreme left (the white disc with the horizontal red bar and associated cast iron and steel framework) appears to be a genuine piece of collectable Railwayana.

Re the signal box, I've a genuine pre 1925 North Eastern Railway cast iron 'PRIVATE' sign from a signal box entrance door - all I need now is a replica N.E.R. signal box to attach it to !
What a great signal box! Unfortunately, here in the US, or more closely, the PNW, there is little respect for historic structures large and small. Often, history ends up in the landfill.

Erich in Seattle
Awesome work Martin.
For Sale

A Factory Ruby Prescott Tool Box!

Well, it was made in a factory, it's carried on the back of a Ruby, and if I take it to Prescott on Saturday that might partly authenticate the provenance. This one is as truly as genuine as any other toolboxes, and a fraction of the price. Yes, just £150! Oh alright then, fifteen quid and two pints of beer in the clubhouse.
(27-09-2018, 09:30 PM)Steve kay Wrote:
For Sale

A Factory Ruby Prescott Tool Box!

Well, it was made in a factory, it's carried on the back of a Ruby, and if I take it to Prescott on Saturday that might partly authenticate the provenance. This one is as truly as genuine as any other toolboxes, and a fraction of the price. Yes, just £150! Oh alright then, fifteen quid and two pints of beer in the clubhouse.

Having broken down somewhere on the A272 near Winchester the wooden army equipment box, strapped onto the back of my Pearl, provided all I needed to get going again.  Short while later a car behind was coming up fast so I pulled over to let him by and it then stopped in front of me, the driver got out and from the boot of his car, produced a wooden box just like mine.........
Cheers

Ant