The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Rubys
(23-09-2018, 09:35 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: All this eligible car business. I wish I understood Wink !!

Steve ( Who's just had a tremendous weekend of vintage motorsport at VSCC Snetterton)

Nice one Steve.. Glad you had good fun at Snetterton.  

I must admit that I miss my old Ruby - CAE 451 - great car, tatty but really quick and completely unpretentious.  I also enjoy VSCC stuff in the Supersports for the fun of seeing old friends and messing about in a 'pointy tail' Seven.  Best not to get too worked up about the eligibility thing.
One day, I’m going to find a pre’30 French Ruby 1100cc engine and put it in my special. I’m going to enter it in VSCC events as an Austin Ruby.
Alan Fairless
Proverbs 8.11

"For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it."

Charles
I have a Ruby as I can still get in and out of it and can still afford it. I enter it in as many events as possible, Inter-Reg rallies, VSCC rallies and autotests, and Ian Grace's Cotswold. I have great fun, and am still speaking to the wife, various navigators and most organisers! I can't help enjoying disaproving looks from a certain sort of spectator turning up in a very expensive, potentialy very fast 20's sports car that never gets entered in anything too quick or faintly dangerous.

Eligibilty is as historic and arcane as debates about Antidisestablishmentarianism, ie much pointless hot air best ignored. 

VSCC rallies are increasingly being open to pre-41 cars. Not just in the very easy Champagne class, but this year as well as the Trophy class for cars with a buff form, there is a Clubmans class which offers the same navigational challenges and intellectual rewards as Trophy and open to any pre-war car.

And good heavens, the next chance of rallying any sort of Seven including a Ruby is just a few weeks away; the Welsh Scatter. Quick, whizz to the VSCC web site and download an entry form.

Which indicates other sporting uses for a Ruby, rally recceing and turning up to marshall.

Hope to see many at Presteigne.
Was it not a spat in a prestigious owners club that started the DVLA's fit of the hebbie-jeebies about authentic cars and their registration/recognition as Vintage....
Personally I tend to agree with Groucho Marx about clubs and Ruairidh about enjoying the thing.
And another thing, anyone who has a desire for a position of power and achieves it is, ipso facto, automatically ineligible for that position.
I'll get me coat...
(22-09-2018, 08:49 PM)Alan Wrote: Who knows? (Mr Jones) but I’d suggest you can already enter a Ruby in most VSCC events for which it’s suitable.

Its ok. I havnt got a Ruby. 

But would I really get a Buff form for the daughters RP as a PVT?
Provided it hasn’t got something silly like a reliant engine, yes I don’t see why not.
Alan Fairless
Hmm.

1934 RP

S = Sports (negative)

P.V.T = Post Vintage (check). Thoroughbread (negative).

Perhaps I was right after all?.

My other seven saloon is actually grey (and vintage).
Personally I find reverse snobbery to be just as bad as snobbery, it all smacks of insecurity, unfortunately British society seems to have the very worst of both.
Black Art Enthusiast
I have a special on a 1928 chassis with all the correct running gear - but a Hamblin body. So not welcome.

I can understand them being picky, if they were uniform with it. However letting certain cars in (probably as regulars / committee / family have them) and not others that are comparable does seem daft.

The recently rewrote some of the rules to let Morris Minors post 1930 and Model A Fords in (plus a few others).

At the end of the day it is meant to be a sports car club, so I can't understand why saloons are allowed when I think about it. To me a sports car is fast, soft top/open top affair.

I have little experience of the VSCC apart from being a member (I've yet to do anything as I need to get the Chummy authenticated). However I do hear from a lot of people that it can be a bit of 'haves and have nots' and the Sevens are or were looked down on by the bigger boys.