The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Rubys
Interestingly the VSCC were only saying recently membership is falling, surely one of the cheapest ways into vintage motoring is a Ruby , time to change the rules to pre 39 ?  It isn't even allowed to enter the Light car section
(23-09-2018, 10:04 AM)morrisminor Wrote: Interestingly the VSCC were only saying recently membership is falling

Some would say that this fact demonstrates success; it makes them even more of a an elitist organisation. Maybe  Groucho Marx had it right regarding membership of this club. Undecided
I was a member of the VSCC for around 10 years, so I know how they can be. 

And yes I'm a big believer that clubs need to change in a big way, to get more modern members.

But I am also a believer that clubs should hold core values.

If you are going to parade cars at a race day, surely you parade race and sports cars?

I would have thought it would be better to aproach the PWA7C, about the Bert HADLEY events. I understand they use many tracks and hill climbs. And as an austin 7 event, it would make more sence to parade all types of 7s on a track day. And bring the club members more together.

And never never think a Ruby is second division. Each austin 7 excels in divergent ways.
"Grey Porage", "Champagne Class"? I am confused. Would someone enlighten me please.
Grey Porridge is a pejorative term for largely unexciting 1930's cars, usually volume produced and made of mostly pressed steel. Frequently saloons. Ford 8, Austin Ruby, Standard Flying 8 - that sort of thing

Champagne Class is the beginners class in VSCC Rallies and is a good introduction to navigation rallies without the excessively challenging quiz approach. They represent a great way to have fun in an old car.

Charles
Hi,
The Ruby is neither Vintage or Sporting.
So entering VSCC competitive events would be a no no except for the POM which is open to any Vehicle.
You would need to hold a Race Licence to enter though ( and be a driving member )

As mentioned before there are many suitable clubs catering for historic ! vehicles like Rubys.

If you want to you can join your local MSA associated car club and take part in Rallys Autosolos Hillclimbs Trials etc in the Ruby.
You are unlikely to win anything but you will have fun and turn a lot of heads

The VSCC has two tiers of membership.
Firstly Driving Membership ( needed to take part in most competitive events in eligible car )
Secondly Associate Membership ( for enthusiasts without eligible car )

I am a second generation VSCC member, my father was an associate member in the 60s 70s up to the 80s he had various vintage pvt vehicles and only did social events.
I joined as a driving member in the early 90s when I gained the the Type 65.

I am a member of more than one car club to suit me needs.

I hope you find a suitable club for your needs
Try the Pre War Austin Seven Club.

Regards Dickie
Thanks Charles.
Dave.

Thanks Charles.
Dave
What Dickie65 says is no longer correct. Provided you are a VSCC member (and you don’t need an eligible car for that) you can enter your Ruby in most if not all of the Club rallies. As far as I am aware, but could be wrong, you can also enter some of the driving tests and autosolo events. You cannot take part in Trials or Speed events, but really, if I wanted to do those I’d arrange things so I didn’t have a Ruby.
Alan Fairless
(23-09-2018, 08:47 PM)Alan Wrote: ... You cannot take part in Trials or Speed events, but really, if I wanted to do those I’d arrange things so I didn’t have a Ruby.

Oh, I don't know, Alan; what about Bert Hadley's Grasshopper-engined Ruby  Big Grin
All this eligible car business. I wish I understood Wink !!

Steve ( Who's just had a tremendous weekend of vintage motorsport at VSCC Snetterton)