The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Rubys
I am fairly certain that in this enlightened day and age the exclusion of ANY vehicle from ANY club is an infringement of someone's human rights and that they must immediately be offered counselling to get over the trauma of the rejection.

Personally I've never liked the whiff in some clubs of 'This is the rule - but we bend it when it suits us and your face/car fits'.
The VSCC is a sporting car club and on that basis I can quite understand why a sporting special is acceptable.
If I was in charge, and if clocks could be turned back, I wouldn't allow Ruby specials but I'm not in charge and time can't go backwards, so they are.

Charles
There is no doubt with an institution like the VSCC that a line has to be drawn somewhere - and there must be some hard cases.  Given that the line has been moved before, the question arises as to whether the benefits of moving it again outweigh any detriments, depending on the aims and values of the club.  This is for the club to decide.

Owners of the 'humble' Ruby (as Bill Boddy once put it) can only wait and see...

Colin
John and others, I think you need to look at why the VSCC exists and in the context of when the club was formed, a great many of the cars in its ranks are historic competition "Mongrels" a lot of which have pre war racing pedigrees. Just because things have changed since the clubs inception all those years ago, and you now own a car which was back then unexciting daily transport why should you expect the club to change just to suit your own wants. There are other perfectly good clubs which do cater for your car so why give the VSCC a hard time. We have the situation here you might like where the Vintage Car Club NZ (formed in 1946) has a rolling 30 year rule, that means that a 1988 Toyota 4x4 pick up truck is eligible for their events! Mind you it is a thoroughbred with no factory modifications.
Black Art Enthusiast
Agree with Charles, and Ian
Alan Fairless
Colin, what events do you want to take part in with your ruby?
As Alan says Rallies have a 'Champagne' class open to ALL pre war cars not just those in the eligibility list.
I would also recommend checking as far as Driving Tests and Autosolos are concerned, as I'm sure I have read that both now have a 'Champagne' Class (for pre war cars without buff forms) too, but unsure if the same 'any pre war car' applies.
I would just like to point out it is the Vintage SPORTS Car Club, and for me that says it all, in no way can a Ruby or a Pearl be thought of as sports cars, unless they are made into specials, although a Opal might be considered to be sporty, it meets the criteria two seats and open topped, with the screen and wings off a full race engine, C/R gearbox and flattened springs an Opal should be able to give a ulster a good run for its money.
As mentioned above, in general other clubs provide suitable events already - not least, in this area, the PWA7C and Manchester Historic Vehicle Club that I belong to. The question was asked about the VSCC because all Sevens are just reaching 80, and Box Saloons are already included. As it happens, I too think that VSCC eligibility could have been kept tighter - in-line with the Sports principle - with the grey area being some of the thoroughbred sports saloons, such as Alvis and Riley.  But the definition seems to have already past this line?

One VSCC event I have seen that would be of interest is the opportunity to drive a parade lap of the Oulton Park circuit on the annual historic race day.

Colin
I agree with what you say about it being a sports car club.I really put my comments on to see what comments it would get. However being a Ruby owner I have found some of the seven fraternity consider Ruby's to only be in the Second division.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Who gives what anybody else thinks? Enjoy your car because you like it.

Big Grin Big Grin