The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Rubys
(24-09-2018, 10:08 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Personally I find reverse snobbery to be just as bad as snobbery, it all smacks of insecurity, unfortunately British society seems to have the very worst of both.

An interesting comment, Ian. Does the BOC finally turning their backs on cars built two years ago in Argentina, claimed to be to Molshiem drawings and spec, count as snobbery? Is the almost universal disaproval on this forum of what cars like the water ski "special" look like  and what it costs in damage to donors also snobbery? Does the Gloucestershire culture of pick ups and fifties salons with the extensive areas of rust carefully covered with matt varnish mean reverse snobbery?

I might be alone in this, but over the years, nay decades, I've found that sort of judgement is not to be found in the paddock, or at signing on. Competition is competition.
What are you talking about Steve???? How has my comment got anything to do with what you are saying!!!!!!!!!
In every case I am in full agreement with you, however what has this to do with the OP or my comment????
Black Art Enthusiast
Steves point is a very valid one, if you understand his points, you begin to understand the snobbery buisiness.

The historic vehicle hobby has in very simplistic terms two factions. No matter if this is austin 7's or buses, or tractors. Those who value historical accuracy and originality, and those who essentially consider the vehicles themselves as toys. Clearly like the right and left wing politics most of us sit somewhere in between.

Those who sympathises more to the accuracy/originality side of things will always consider those who chop up perfectly good cars to build 'specials' to be heathens. And those who chop them up will always consider those who criticise them rivet counters. Then there are those who will happily let someone else do the chopping and buy the outcome with a clear conscience. There is certainly snobbery here. All ways!.

The VSCC reputation suffers simply for its perceived double standards. What are its values? Originality/Accuracy? Sports? Vintage? or something quite different?
"I find it incredible that a special is allowed which really is a bitsa with components taken from different models all be it the same make and therefore is a mongrel is allowed but a saloon of the same age kept to factory spec so therefore a thoroughbred is not allowed somewhat strange".

Whilst being the first one to agree that the VSCC's attitude to what is & what is not "acceptable" is to a great extent impenetrable, I suspect the explanation for the above is actually quite straight forward.

Back in the mists of time when the VSCC was founded it was to promote the Racing & Sports cars of the Pre War / Brookands era.  Whilst A7 Specials were undoubtedly part of this "scene" in period, the more "mundane" standard cars were certainly not.

The VSCC has over the years become less averse to "Grey Porridge" as they once liked to refer to "lesser" models, but as all Pre War models become rarer & their membership gets older their need to encourage new membership has forced a dilution of the original & ridiculously strict entrance criteria.

I feel certain that the VSCC will always remain a club that's primary goal is to promote this sporting heritage & long may they do so.