The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another film - Chris Gould's record attempt...
The car wasn't that old then...

Perhaps a repeat attempt is overdue...

Fascinating viewing!
I think we got the halfshafts replacement time down to about 20 minutes. Yes, usually about 3 in the morning.
I also remember Steve Hopkins throwing a spectator out of the pits, only to find it was SCH Davies.
Alan Fairless
Is the film available on DVD? If not, could it be? I am certain it would be a popular item.
(20-09-2018, 08:52 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Is the film available on DVD? If not, could it be? I am certain it would be a popular item.

There was a film produced of the '78 attempt. That in turn was put onto DVD much later and was available for sale IIRC. Chris Gould gave the other participants and myself one of these at a reunion -think that might have been the 20th or 25th anniversary. My DVD appears to be have been stored in "A very safe place" at the moment.
Yes it was available CD, I have a copy, not sure if it still is but an enquiry to the PWA7 club will answer that.
Black Art Enthusiast
Seeing this film again has brought back memories. Stuart Giles did a great job welding the half shafts. I remember him arriving at the start with his camping gear etc inside his special and tied all over it including the bonnet.                                         
Keith Sayers did a great job in producing the film. Copies of the DVD which are clearer and not distorted are obtainable from the Pre War Austin Seven Club, C/O Graham Beckett, 77 All Saints Lane, Nettleham, Lincs, LN2 2NJ. They are priced at £11 including p&p.
(19-09-2018, 10:55 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: 1000 miles a day - amazing.

The Jogle runs were not far short of that for some of us. We did one in our Ruby in 23 hours and 10 minutes, and later 23hours and 50 minutes in the Chummy.
A thousand miles in one day is impressive, but a thousand miles per day for seven or eight days on end is rather different!
(20-09-2018, 10:27 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote:
(20-09-2018, 08:52 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Is the film available on DVD? If not, could it be? I am certain it would be a popular item.

There was a film produced of the '78 attempt. That in turn was put onto DVD much later and was available for sale IIRC. Chris Gould gave the other participants and myself one of these at a reunion -think that might have been the 20th or 25th anniversary. My DVD appears to be have been stored in "A very safe place" at the moment.
I have one of the 1970's VHS video copies still but after all this time I doubt it plays well.
(25-09-2018, 01:06 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: A thousand miles in one day is impressive, but a thousand miles per day for seven or eight days on end is rather different!

That was my thoughts as well Mike - extraordinary.