The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this?
Hello All,
            I am just about to start fabricating the bonnet for Slippery Anne and something has me puzzled. If you look closely at the following period picture from inside the cars bonnet, it has a small pointed flange associated with the hinge. Does anyone know what it is, what it does and if it is seen on other cars?

.jpg   slippery hinge.jpg (Size: 77 KB / Downloads: 373)

Regards, Mark.
This is part of how the bonnent hinge is formed - the tang is part of the bonnet top that is threaded through the hinge pieces then bent back on itself to keep it all together.

I can take pictures of similar tomorrow if my description doesn't make sense.
Looks like a bonnet stay. Rubies etc have a fixing on the hinge that also passes through the radiator stay. Stops the bonnet from detaching if catches are not engaged.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Hi Mark,

I recently made an Austin hinge and have found a couple of photos of the process for you. I believe that the flange you refer to is a small tab of bonnet material which stops the hinge sliding along the bonnet flange.
Black Art Enthusiast
Sorry about the image rotation again, we have been having difficulties with file uploads, and removing the plugin that should have stopped it rotating, was one of the steps to try to solve it (still not fixed). I have downloaded the image, and removed the exif data, and re-uploaded it into your post.
I have been trying for half an hour now to post the pictures for you Mark, but for some reason the site keeps freezing, this appears to be a new issue past pictures have loaded without problem.
Black Art Enthusiast
(30-08-2017, 11:07 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I have been trying for half an hour now to post the pictures for you Mark, but for some reason the site keeps freezing, this appears to be a new issue past pictures have loaded without problem.

Hello Ian, sorry for the inconvenience. Anything over a few hundred kb is currently failing (despite it being set to 4096kb). Management are aware and we have spent the past 2 days trying our damnedest to solve it to no avail (as yet), but it seems it may now be a server issue rather than an issue caused by the plugin (Now removed). I will post again on the 'Attachments not working' thread when it is solved, and I have now 'stuck' it to make it more obvious.

.jpg   DSC05857.JPG (Size: 154.9 KB / Downloads: 280)
Picture one shows the completed hinge formed in this case from stainless steel and copied from my Nippy, earlier hinges were made from Nickel silver. Adjacent to the pencil you can see the start of the mounting boss also made from stainless but still requiring the threaded portion attaching.

.jpg   DSC05856.JPG (Size: 150.71 KB / Downloads: 277)
The second picture shows the various stages of forming a hinge section, some appear white because they still have the plastic protective film attached to the stainless sheet, on the right is a finished and polished hinge segment

.jpg   DSC05854.JPG (Size: 159.4 KB / Downloads: 277)
The final picture shows the forming jig made to produce these hinge sections.

The bonnet panel has a return flange formed on its edge and the hinge sections are slid onto this, once full assembled the ends of this flange are bent back over the last hinge segment to hold everything in place, this is what Marks picture shows. If any of the above is unclear I will endeavour to take more pictures in order to clarify.
Black Art Enthusiast
And here is anther example:

.jpg   IMG_3198.JPG (Size: 39.54 KB / Downloads: 238)

.jpg   IMG_3197.JPG (Size: 33.13 KB / Downloads: 237)

.jpg   IMG_3199.JPG (Size: 29.68 KB / Downloads: 238)
Ian and Ruairidh,

Thank you for your excellent pictures and explanations. I had completely the wrong idea about this, imagining the hinge to be formed from the bonnets panel skin, all of a sudden the making of which looks a lot less involved.

It also goes to show the dangers of an Austin virgin like myself trying to build a car from 90 odd year old pictures!

Understanding why you would use stainless on a road car, I am now curious about the materials used and if they may have used aluminium for this on the race cars, also did they vary in size and and diameter of the rod?

Ian, may I beg a set of dimensions from you?

Regards, Mark.