The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gaskets - big 7 or 8...

I have a pile of old c/a gaskets. These three aren't going to fit my 7s. Any help with identification appreciated... Anyone want them?
Nick,

Looking through an early Payen catalogue, the top one is definitely from a 1929 - 33 Standard 9.9 hp Big Nine & Avon - Payen number 881. The two lower ones are almost certainly 1932 - 36 Standard 9 hp Little Nine & Nine - Payen Number 1220.

Jeff
Wow... Geoff, 881 it is. The second two are 1908. It would be great to know what they're for too. I didn't know they had numbers impressed into them.

Thank you!
Nick,

Unfortunately my catalogue only covers up to Payen gasket number 1905 which happens to be a reinforced head gasket for a 1936 (Jaguar) S.S. Twenty & Airline. I notice that Payen produced a "reinforced alternative to Ref. 1220 where trouble is experienced" for the 1932 - 36 Standard 9 hp Little Nine & Nine which was Payen Number 1502. I suppose it's possible that your two gaskets may have been a slightly later further reinforced alternative to both 1220 and 1502. Presumably the Standard Motor Club may know if Payen 1908 was applicable to the Little Nine & Nine - may be worth emailing them your photos - link below.

John Davis is also an expert on vintage head gaskets, he may be able to identify the Payen Ref. 1908 - email below.

https://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/index.html

johndavis.vintage@btinternet.com

I'll post the catalogue illustration of Payen 1220 for comparison with your photo later today.

Jeff.
Many thanks Jeff. Spelling never a strong point of mine!
(15-09-2018, 12:39 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Many thanks Jeff. Spelling never a strong point of mine!

Hi Nick,

As promised, here's the catalogue scan of the 1932 - 36 Standard 9 hp Little Nine & Nine Head Gasket - Payen Number 1220. As you can see there are some very slight differences between this one and your two lower gaskets, but no other head gasket in the 197 page Payen catalogue comes anywhere near ! Of course the possibility exists that your two lower gaskets were manufactured by a company other than Payen who would most likely have had their own gasket numbering system. Hope you manage to sell them, all three could be quite rare. 

Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks again Jeff. I contacted the club spares chap and he confirmed that the 1936 Standard 9 uses the 1908 gasket. I guess like our 7 the 36 head is slightly differently shaped. Theres a little damage on the copper so the club may not purchase them for spares... The 881 has already found a new home.